• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Clarification ASAP before going to an arraignment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bp_justin

What is the name of your state? California

Need some clarifications please!

I will be going to an arraignment very soon for a ticket. I will plead not guilty and point outtwo errors on my ticket to the judge. He or she will rule to dismiss or not to dismiss the ticket. If the judge is not going to dismiss the ticket, would it be too LATE for me to change my not guilty plead to guilty before the arraignment is finished? Thank you!

CdwJava

bp_justin said:
What is the name of your state? California

Need some clarifications please!

I will be going to an arraignment very soon for a ticket. I will plead not guilty and point outtwo errors on my ticket to the judge. He or she will rule to dismiss or not to dismiss the ticket. If the judge is not going to dismiss the ticket, would it be too LATE for me to change my not guilty plead to guilty before the arraignment is finished? Thank you!
You can probably ask if you can make a motion to change your plea after the judge denies your request for a dismissal based upon the errors.

Keep in mind that rarely are the errors substantial enough to compel a judge or traffic commissioner in CA to dismiss a citation. He would almost have had to give you a ticket from his previous stop to have it dropped ... in other words, it would have to be so wrought with errors that it was useless. Errors such as colors, spelling, and even direction of travel are not likely to have any real bearing.

- Carl

bp_justin

What about not illegible violation code? Part of the violation code the officer wrote is completely illegible. Would that be enough to dismiss a ticket? Thank you!

CdwJava

bp_justin said:
What about not illegible violation code? Part of the violation code the officer wrote is completely illegible. Would that be enough to dismiss a ticket? Thank you!
If the court could read it, they would clarify it and then give you an appearance date. Also, it will likely be clear on the "courtesy notice" you receive ... IF you receive one.

If the court can't read it, they will send it back to the issuing officer for clarification. So chances are by the time you get to court they will be able to tell you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">