• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schoolbus driver incident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danthegolfer

What is the name of your state? Virginia

ok here is basically what happend. i was parellel parked at a friends house, and then me and my friend went to leave. we got in my car and i looked in my rear view mirror before pulling out, and i saw a schoolbus. it was going very slow and i thought it was going to turn because my friend lives on a corner. so i pulled out and into a driveway across the road, then turned around to proceeed away.
however, when i got to mid-turn , the bus drver had gone forward from where he was when i pulled out, and he looked very mad and im 99% sure he was writing down my license plate. i kept my cool and just drove off

i guess what im wondering is, can he report me to the cops for something ?
i mean its not like we crashed or were even really close to crashing... yes he might have had to brake hard but its not like he skidded or anything...it was just he seemed pissed and he wrote down my license plate that is worrying me... thanks for any and all help

Y

ylen13

sleep easy at night. Nothing can happen, a cop must have witness you commiting the infratction in order to give you a ticket.

racer72

ylen13 said:
sleep easy at night. Nothing can happen, a cop must have witness you commiting the infratction in order to give you a ticket.
Of course a thorough search of these forums will find a number of folks that have recieved citations when a police officer did not witness the violation. Tickets that result from auto accidents are a very good example. And many folks are regularly cited for failure to yield to school bus warning lights based on the info given to the police by the school bus driver. Don't be surprised if an envelope with a citation is found in your mail box soon.

Y

ylen13

racer72 said:
Of course a thorough search of these forums will find a number of folks that have recieved citations when a police officer did not witness the violation. Tickets that result from auto accidents are a very good example. And many folks are regularly cited for failure to yield to school bus warning lights based on the info given to the police by the school bus driver. Don't be surprised if an envelope with a citation is found in your mail box soon.
then i guess virginia law is totally different then CA.In CA a cop must witness your commiting the infraction in order for the ticket to issued.

edit:if he gets the ticket, i would fight it on bases that no police officer witness the infraction and bus driver has no training in determining if the law was broken or not. Again auto accidents must be totally different laws as in CA as you don't get a ticket here unless cop responde to the scene

danthegolfer

yeah my point is that there were no warning lights on the bus lit, it was just driving. (it wasnt like dropping off kids or seomthing)

baerchen24

My state: NJ

From what you are describing, I can't imagine that the bus driver has much of a case against you...we all get cut off from time to time...Im no lawyer of course...but what would we he report you for anyway? Illegal turn? Illegal U turn?

I guess my question in this matter would be, how long would does the bus driver have to report an issue such as this? It's been almost a week, shouldnt you have heard something by now?

racer72

then i guess virginia law is totally different then CA.In CA a cop must witness your commiting the infraction in order for the ticket to issued.
Of course, you are wrong again. You must like showing your ignorance. 4 years ago I was involved in a minor auto accident in San Francisco, it was not my fault. The driver that hit my pickup left the scene with 2 citations. The officer that wrote the citations was not even on duty when the accident happened, he came on duty on minutes before he responded to the accident. And California has many communities that issue red light citations, the only witness is a camera. If you would like to prove me wrong, perhaps you would like to post a link to the specific statute that states your case.

Y

ylen13

racer72 said:
Of course, you are wrong again. You must like showing your ignorance. 4 years ago I was involved in a minor auto accident in San Francisco, it was not my fault. The driver that hit my pickup left the scene with 2 citations. The officer that wrote the citations was not even on duty when the accident happened, he came on duty on minutes before he responded to the accident. And California has many communities that issue red light citations, the only witness is a camera. If you would like to prove me wrong, perhaps you would like to post a link to the specific statute that states your case.
you may want to reread my post. I said if oficer don't responde then no ticket will be issued, meaning they will not sent one thru the mail

NWO

The bus driver would need to go to court. The cop doesn't need to witness it. He might not even need to show up in court. You can cross examine the bus driver. And yes, you can get the ticket days OR MONTHS later depending on the exact law in your state.

racer72

ylen13 said:
you may want to reread my post. I said if oficer don't responde then no ticket will be issued, meaning they will not sent one thru the mail
And where exactly in your previous post did you state that? See the little quote box above? There is also one in my previous post too. Please do not reply to this post, you are looking like a bigger fool with each post you make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">