• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel Agent ripped me off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sokrazed

What is the name of your state? New York

I am a New York City resident. In Nov, I won a bid on ebay for a cruise from an ebay certified travel agent(Square Trade member). The agent was All of Us Travel in Salt Lake city , Utah. I paid $5884 for the cruise on American Express. The cruise line was Norwegian Cruises. The price was for 4 and they included taxes and port charges. I received a confirmation in the mail with a confirmation #. I was able to preregister 2 weeks ago on the NCL website as I had a confirmation # and a room #.
I called Norwegian cruise lines yesterday to see if I could get another room for the 4/17/2005 cruise I booked, and they told me the travel agent closed down and that they (NCL) only received $2000 from the travel agent and I would have to pay the balance to go on the cruise. They also said they were sending out letters. I called American Express and they told me since it was over 60 days, they could not do anything. The problem also becomes, that cruise lines do not send out travel documents until 2-3 weeks before the cruise, so how would I ever know within 60 days?
What can I do to recoup my money. The agent does not answer the phone (suprise!) and NCL is less than understanding. I have filed a complaint with the better business burea, but where else can I turn--ebay, amx, ncl.
I am real upset since I was taking my parents for their 50th Anniv.
Please help me.
Thanks
PS--I took travel insurance out, but I don't think that helps

djohnson

I would try talking to someone higher up there. The agreement between them and the agent is just that, between them and the agent. If they have given you proof of everything then I would say if pushed they would honor it and have to go after the travel agent. I don't know but it's worth a shot. Also send a letter CRRR to them. It can't hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">