• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

owe paypal money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpratt27

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In December I posted a thread about being ripped off for $1500. The question still remains, do I have to give paypal $1500? They are saying that since they reversed the payment after it was removed from my account that I owe them the money. This is B.S.! They have sent it to collections. I want to know if they are going to take me to court to garnish my wages if I don't pay it back. I don't feel this is my debt. The money was reversed by them, why should I have to pay it back??? Is this actually legal? They can just have some person claim that someone else has used their account and I get the bill...does this not happen to anyone else? I DON"T HAVE $1500.00. I was selling this for my friend and gave her the money. I have no money.What am I supposed to do?

cmorris

Get it from your friend.

I'm assuming the buyer used a credit card. If so, they can call their credit card company and request a charge-back. If the cc company decides to do it, the seller gets to return the money. Apparently, PayPal had to refund the money and now want it from you.

Did you send the item? You can sue the buyer if you did and they did not pay (depending on circumstances, you may or may not want to do that).

But as for having to pay PayPal for the charge-back, your only recourse is with your friend.

cpratt27

My credit already sucks because of medical bills, but will they come after my paycheck? And do you know how much am I required to pay per month, is there a percentage of a debt you have to pay or could I just pay 10 bucks? I seriously have no money and my friend no longer has it. I don't want to get in trouble with my new job because of a garnishment.

naesatt

What about paypal's seller protection policy, does it apply to you? If you sent the item to an address other than the one that the buyer provided with the credit card it automatically cancels the seller protection policy. i sell stuff on ebay and frequently use paypal for my transactions so I am also interested in this thread.

JETX

naesatt said:
What about paypal's seller protection policy, does it apply to you? If you sent the item to an address other than the one that the buyer provided with the credit card it automatically cancels the seller protection policy. i sell stuff on ebay and frequently use paypal for my transactions so I am also interested in this thread.
The problem here is really simple. The poster sent an item to South America after payment by the buyer on PayPal using a credit card. After the package had shipped, the buyer 'reversed' the credit card charge.... and still received the shipped item (computer). Pretty much a scam by the buyer.... and the seller received the money. At this point, seller is pretty much stuck.

tijerin

When you sign up for a Paypal account, you agree to their "Terms of Service". You agreed to allow them to debit your account for chargebacks, etc. If you'd read their TOS, you'd see what they can do. You can't say they have no right, cause you gave it to them when you signed up for their account. Pay them back or deal with collections/lawsuits/et al.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">