• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vacation/sick leave taken away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dave128

What is the name of your state? Va.

I just found out through a company memo they are changing the vacation / sick leave benefits. They are now combining the two which works out to be less then both were seperately. The main issue I have is that I had 200hrs in sick leave, and 200hrs vacation time. I could accrue up to 240 vacation, and 200 in sick leave. Now they took away my sick time , and have a new accrual schedule that combine both together. The accrual rate is a little higher, but it caps at 200hrs. So I just lost 6 weeks worth of benefits in the click of a mouse. Is their any recourse. I would never have planned my vacation, or go on another one period (at this company) if I knew I am actually using my sick leave now. I know you will say cancel the vacation if it concerns me that much, but it is the superbowl, and other things, and is payed for.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you have no recourse. Barring a contract that says otherwise, the employer is legally entitled to change their benefits as they see fit and as business needs require. Neither vacation nor sick time is considered wages in Virginia so they have no legal obligation to "grandfather" the benefits you already had.

It may or may not be fair, but nothing your company has done is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">