• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cohabitation/spousal support in CO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

finallyfreeinco

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am very recently divorced and my ex and I are amicable. I have a boyfriend who lives in another state and we are considering him moving out to CO and in with me. My ex understands from some of his divorced friends that a cohabitation for 6 months or longer would not require him to pay spousal support. Our final order states that he is to pay until Oct 2009 or until I get remarried. What is your understanding of this?

finallyfreeinco

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What does your order say about cohabitation and how it affects alimony? Is your alimony really alimony or is it part of a property settlement.

As a broader question - do you have kids?

finallyfreeinco

Colorado

My final orders do not say anything about cohabitation. They simply state that spousal support will continue for 5 years (Oct 2009) or until I remarry. My support order specifies that I receive a certain amount for spousal each month and a certain amount of child support each month. I have 3 children and my spousal support is a significant amount of my support at this time ($613 out of $860). We will go back to court once spousal support stops and have the child support refigured.
I appreciate your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">