• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help ! Alimony VS child support & taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carter2

What is the name of your state? California

Divorced my wife last year, went to arbitator not court. We agreed I would give her $2000 a month for both child support and alimony but never decided exact percentage of each.

It's tax time now and of course we need to decide how much of the $2000 is alimony for tax purposes. I used one of the calculators and determined that based on our time with kids and incomes child support should be approx $1000 so I want to put $1000 a month towards alimony for my taxes. X wife doesnt want that much towards alimony.

Question - If she disagrees can this be decided without going to court ? What can she do ?

What are the tax ramifications for her on the $1000 a month alimony ?

Thanks

cyana24

The CS is not deductable for you and not taxable income for her.

The Alimony you paid is tax deductible for you and taxable income for her.

Of course both of you should be keeping good records. I receive alimony and besides designating it as "alimony income" in my checking account, I also make a copy of the check.

Also have you run your state's child support calculator to see how much of your $2000 is required for your children? You might want to do this to see if you're in the ballpark for 50/50 breakdown. It may help (or not) if she takes this issue to court.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
cyana24 said:
Also have you run your state's child support calculator to see how much of your $2000 is required for your children? You might want to do this to see if you're in the ballpark for 50/50 breakdown. It may help (or not) if she takes this issue to court.

Hope this helps.
uuhhh.... I think he said he already did this.... ?

Carter - what breakdown does SHE propose?

cyana24

stealth2 said:
uuhhh.... I think he said he already did this.... ?

Carter - what breakdown does SHE propose?
Sorry, steath, I'm just blind today :eek: . The rest of the info is accurate though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">