• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this legal????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itaotiili

What is the name of your state? TENNESSEE

My ex- and I divorced 10 yrs ago. He got full custody of our daughter 4 yrs ago at his girlfriends insitance. He and his girlfriend of 8 yrs now are not married but want her to adopt my daughter. My daughter is almost 12. They say they do not need my approval for this and I can not stop it if my daughter says this is what she wants.

BelizeBreeze

itaotiili said:
What is the name of your state? TENNESSEE

My ex- and I divorced 10 yrs ago. He got full custody of our daughter 4 yrs ago at his girlfriends insitance. He and his girlfriend of 8 yrs now are not married but want her to adopt my daughter. My daughter is almost 12. They say they do not need my approval for this and I can not stop it if my daughter says this is what she wants.
Tell these hillbillies to check with a real attorney instead of some old geezer sipping 'shine out of a mason jar.

djohnson

They are lying and bluffing. If you have been a part of her life chance are a judge wouldn't agree to it unles you were really really bad and they proved it. At 12 she can speak he preferences and a judge may take it into account, but it's no guarantee. The judge rules in the best interest of the child and the judge also knows that teens, and pre teens, tend to be emotional and pick one over the other over silly reasons and not valid ones.

BelizeBreeze

djohnson said:
They are lying and bluffing. If you have been a part of her life chance are a judge wouldn't agree to it unles you were really really bad and they proved it. At 12 she can speak he preferences and a judge may take it into account, but it's no guarantee. The judge rules in the best interest of the child and the judge also knows that teens, and pre teens, tend to be emotional and pick one over the other over silly reasons and not valid ones.
A child has absolutely no voice in an adoption proceeding. It is also rare that a child of 12 will be heard by a judge during a custody hearing.

This entire situation is a pile of crap.

Grace_Adler

I know we're talking about TN but I just wanted to add that some states do say you have to have the child's consent in an adoption. For example, in NC if the child is 12 or older, you must have their consent.

In order for them to be able to adopt your daughter without your consent is if they had grounds to terminate your parental rights under TN law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">