• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old NJ surcharge woes/CDL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matthew Hey

What is the name of your state? NC
I recently moved to NC from OH. When I went to transfer my CDL to NC, NCDMV would not do it as I owe NJ about $800 from an insurance surcharge going back to 1995 (when I was cited in NJ, while licensed there, for operating my car w/o ins.). Will this debt to NJ ever go away? My NJ CDL expired several years ago; my OH is valid until next year. Thanks, mat

kimbleslilbitts

Hate to say it....but this debt will NEVER go away. They will send you a collections bill. You will not be able to obtain your CDL in NC until you settle up with NJ.....However NJ will let you get on a payment plan with them and you can restore your license. Go to www.njmvc.gov Click on Penalites and Violations....scroll down to Surcharges and click on that.....scroll down and click on www.njsurcharge.com....this will take you to the site that will be most helpful....if you do not know the DL number or the notice number....call 1-609-292-7500...this is the call center for the NJMVC...and they can help you. There is no 800 number cuz their CHEAP and if you get a surcharge or ticket....and don't pay or EVEN know about it.....it will haunt you and your driving career. TRUST me....my husband knows. We are on a payment plan for a surcharge right now....it sucks...but what can ya do...ya have to have a CDL to make a livin'.......GOOD Luck....and it takes that office 7-10 business days to process the payments....so if you want it done fast...you might want to go there and do it in person and get the letter to take to NC DMV to show them that it is taken care of. If you do it through the mail they will mail you a copy of reciept......however they WILL NOT fax it to you to make the process faster....Snail mail is what they believe in!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">