• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

ylen13

What is the name of your state? California

considering that people on this board see to be lawyers i got question

I got parking ticket in the mail for stoping in the no stoping zone. The parking enforcement officer never actually got my vin number all he got was my licences plate. I always thought that if they don't get your vin number then ticket is not valid on its face am i wrong on this or did law change in the last couple of years?

HomeGuru

ylen13 said:
What is the name of your state? California

considering that people on this board see to be lawyers i got question

I got parking ticket in the mail for stoping in the no stoping zone. The parking enforcement officer never actually got my vin number all he got was my licences plate. I always thought that if they don't get your vin number then ticket is not valid on its face am i wrong on this or did law change in the last couple of years?

**A: I see to be a lawyer and the law did not change.

Y

ylen13

if all parking officer needs it my licences plate then how can you fight if he misread the licences plate? Also it seems to be unfair if that how it works as he can't profe that it was your car that was parked there as the only thing he was able to get is your licences plate.

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
if all parking officer needs it my licences plate then how can you fight if he misread the licences plate? Also it seems to be unfair if that how it works as he can't profe that it was your car that was parked there as the only thing he was able to get is your licences plate.
All they need is the license plate. And running the plate will get them the VIN ... but since the plates are unique to that vehicle, there is nothing magical about the VIN - unless you allege that your plates were stolen and placed on an identical vehicle, then returned to your car.

Ideally, the parking enforcement officer should try to get the last 4 digits of the VIN. But, if the VIN is not visible from the outside of the car, then that's not possible.

If they were REQUIRED to get the VIN, then everyone could simply conceal the VIN and never get a parking ticket.

- Carl

Y

ylen13

CdwJava said:
All they need is the license plate. And running the plate will get them the VIN ... but since the plates are unique to that vehicle, there is nothing magical about the VIN - unless you allege that your plates were stolen and placed on an identical vehicle, then returned to your car.

Ideally, the parking enforcement officer should try to get the last 4 digits of the VIN. But, if the VIN is not visible from the outside of the car, then that's not possible.

If they were REQUIRED to get the VIN, then everyone could simply conceal the VIN and never get a parking ticket.

- Carl
what then stops parking officer from giving out as many parking ticket she wants as from sound of it its hard to pretty immposible to fight it. Basically its your word against her/his and you will lose.

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
what then stops parking officer from giving out as many parking ticket she wants as from sound of it its hard to pretty immposible to fight it. Basically its your word against her/his and you will lose.
What's to stop anyone from lying about anything? Except that there is little motive for the parking officer to lie about the matter.

And, it would be kind of hard for them to get your license plate if you weren't there to begin with.

However, as a parking ticket, it goes to a city official for a challenge and not court. So you might be able to make a good argument and get the ticket dismissed.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">