• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to visit my granddaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emiles

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY My granddaughter was taken away from my son when she was first born. This woman was married but separated from her husband at the time. Both men were in the military. The woman went back to her husband to have the baby. When the baby was born, he was stationed in several locations. We never knew where they were. She would call and send pictures, but never a return address. In 2001, she called me. My granddaughter wanted to know why she was differnt in color than her older brother, father and mother. She did not know how to explain it to her. My husband and me went to Ca. (that's where they reside). That's the first time we met our granddaughter. She was 8yrs old when we met her. We stayed in touch. In 2003, her mother called hysterical. For approximately one month straight, I was on the phone with her. She said that some things were going on and she was tired. I talked her into coming out for a visit. My husband and I sent for her and the children.(she also have a little boy from another who is younger than my grand). She also wanted her to meet her real dad (my son) for the first time.He lives in another state. My son came and met his daughter for the first time. It was glorious. They stayed for two weeks. At that time she had asked if anything happened to her, would I take care of her children. Of course I responded Yes. Since she went back home in 2003, I have not been able to talk to my granddaughter at all. I want to see her. Her mother is telling me stories that her stepdad will not let me see her. She says that her older son and husband are turning the children against her. I don't know this man. But after taking this child the way they did I feel is wrong. I met her and love with all my heart. Why should I suffer for what they. I just want to know what recourses me and my son have in order to see her. We understand that he raised her, that we will never try to take away from him. But do we have a right to see her. Doesn't she have a right to know that she has other family that wants to meet her. and will love her also. please help

LdiJ

emiles said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY My granddaughter was taken away from my son when she was first born. This woman was married but separated from her husband at the time. Both men were in the military. The woman went back to her husband to have the baby. When the baby was born, he was stationed in several locations. We never knew where they were. She would call and send pictures, but never a return address. In 2001, she called me. My granddaughter wanted to know why she was differnt in color than her older brother, father and mother. She did not know how to explain it to her. My husband and me went to Ca. (that's where they reside). That's the first time we met our granddaughter. She was 8yrs old when we met her. We stayed in touch. In 2003, her mother called hysterical. For approximately one month straight, I was on the phone with her. She said that some things were going on and she was tired. I talked her into coming out for a visit. My husband and I sent for her and the children.(she also have a little boy from another who is younger than my grand). She also wanted her to meet her real dad (my son) for the first time.He lives in another state. My son came and met his daughter for the first time. It was glorious. They stayed for two weeks. At that time she had asked if anything happened to her, would I take care of her children. Of course I responded Yes. Since she went back home in 2003, I have not been able to talk to my granddaughter at all. I want to see her. Her mother is telling me stories that her stepdad will not let me see her. She says that her older son and husband are turning the children against her. I don't know this man. But after taking this child the way they did I feel is wrong. I met her and love with all my heart. Why should I suffer for what they. I just want to know what recourses me and my son have in order to see her. We understand that he raised her, that we will never try to take away from him. But do we have a right to see her. Doesn't she have a right to know that she has other family that wants to meet her. and will love her also. please help
Your son is the only one who may be able to assert any rights...and much depends on whether or not the stepdad is legally the child's father. I am assuming that he is since they were married when she had the child and they are still together.

Your son really needs to consult an attorney.

emiles

maybe getting a divorce for the second time?

In reponse, according to her, they were divorced but she went back to him for the sake of the child. She claims that he made her sign papers to give him full custody. She said he tricked her. She also claims that she remarried him, but now getting divorced again. I truly do beleive that there is more to this. I don't want to make accusations. I'm not sure if remarried this man.

LdiJ

emiles said:
In reponse, according to her, they were divorced but she went back to him for the sake of the child. She claims that he made her sign papers to give him full custody. She said he tricked her. She also claims that she remarried him, but now getting divorced again. I truly do beleive that there is more to this. I don't want to make accusations. I'm not sure if remarried this man.
Again, your son needs to assert his rights by filing for paternity and to establish legal fatherhood. Until he does that nothing else can be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">