• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother surrendering rights... what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karat

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My brother in law's cousin may be giving up her soon to
be born twins for adoption. Her mother has suggested we
take them as we are taking PATH classes with the local
DCS to foster and adopt. We would love to have them.
She doesn't want any money, but will just surrender her
rights.

What do we need to do? Do we need an attorney? I've
written the instructor for the PATH classes, but haven't
heard back yet. Will we need to go ahead with a homestudy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The twins
are due in March.

Sincerely,
KT

oc_girl

I would definitely get an attorney. If she wants you to have the children, you may be albo to do a private adoption rather than going through the system. Each (private and through the system) has its advantages and disadvantages. You'll have to check with an attorney in your state about the perks and drawbacks of each.

In either case, in order to adopt the children the birth father will also have to terminate his parental rights. IThis can be done by geting his consent or possibly by claiming abandonment (although since they aren't even born yet, that probably wouldn't work). If he is "unknown" (truly unknown, not just not listed on the birth certificate) that may be a different story. I am only familiar with CA laws - sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck!

oc_girl

One more thing, whether you go through the system or a private adoption, there will likely be some sort of homestudy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">