• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i hate my condo association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nevinstevens

What is the name of your state?rhode island

background:
My wife and I have lived in our condo for 7 years and have had 4 different property management companies. The condominium is located on a golf course. When we originally moved in there was a nice atmosphere between the partners. Over the past several years the relationship has soured and the original rules have gone out the window.

Complaints:

1) Broken windows were originally covered by the condo association but no longer are covered.

2) Each unit is allowed two parking spaces. This law is still in writing but whenever someone calls to complain about it we are told the law never existed.

3) Over the last year some of our neighbors have had drainage problems. We had a condo meeting to discuss possible soutions and to vote on a increase in funds to to care of the problem. The proposal was rejected because it only affected 1/3 of the population and would nearly double the condo fee. The condo association is now demanding a $ 50 increase for misc fees

Our major problem:
My wife and I have become so distraught with the association that we have refused to pay our condo fee for lack of services. The other day we received a letter saying that the problem was being turned over to collections. What rights do we have? What rights does the condo association have? We are paying a mortgage on the property. My wife and I (with the assistance of our neighbors) comprised a letter stating the issues we had last year and nothing has been done.

Pease help, thanks

HomeGuru

nevinstevens said:

background:
My wife and I have lived in our condo for 7 years and have had 4 different property management companies. The condominium is located on a golf course. When we originally moved in there was a nice atmosphere between the partners. Over the past several years the relationship has soured and the original rules have gone out the window.

Complaints:

1) Broken windows were originally covered by the condo association but no longer are covered.

**A: can the HOA prove that there was a legal change in the CC&R's?
2) Each unit is allowed two parking spaces. This law is still in writing but whenever someone calls to complain about it we are told the law never existed.

**A: then you knwo that the HOA Board is full of crap.

3) Over the last year some of our neighbors have had drainage problems. We had a condo meeting to discuss possible soutions and to vote on a increase in funds to to care of the problem. The proposal was rejected because it only affected 1/3 of the population and would nearly double the condo fee. The condo association is now demanding a $ 50 increase for misc fees

**A: the HOA needs an attorney.

Our major problem:
My wife and I have become so distraught with the association that we have refused to pay our condo fee for lack of services. The other day we received a letter saying that the problem was being turned over to collections. What rights do we have?

**A: you have a right to pay first and dispute late. Read your HOA docs.
What rights does the condo association have?

**A" read your HOA docs. You will be surprised at what they can do for default.
We are paying a mortgage on the property.

**A: not relevant.
My wife and I (with the assistance of our neighbors) comprised a letter stating the issues we had last year and nothing has been done.

**A: then see a HOA attorney.

Pease help, thanks
**A: ok....

nevinstevens

homeguru more help please

Originally Posted by nevinstevens

background:

Complaints:

**A: can the HOA prove that there was a legal change in the CC&R's?

(r)We no longer have an original copy of association laws. I do think it was ever written in the laws but the realtionship between the condo and the golf course was much more solid. We had our slider broke and they did not hesitate about getting it fixed.

**A: the HOA needs an attorney.

(r)I do not understand your answer.

Our major problem:
My wife and I have become so distraught with the association that we have refused to pay our condo fee for lack of services. The other day we received a letter saying that the problem was being turned over to collections. What rights do we have?

**A: you have a right to pay first and dispute late. Read your HOA docs.

(r) IN HOA do you mean condo laws?? We were told by a neighbor that she had a similar probelm the condo association put a lien on the property, what does this mean?
She had to pay the fee and lawyer costs.

merzerie

I hate my Condo association too

I like your post. I appreciate that there is a site where we can post this stuff. I too have had a lot of problems with my Condo association. I will never again buy a condo. Unfortunately I have two of them and the second has an HOA. About two years ago I was unemployed then a bunch of bad things happened and I found myself pretty damn broke. I fell behind on my condo fees and my HOA fees. They all sued me and charged me twice as much as the original debt in Legal fees. I still can't afford to pay it back and this one lawyer wants to take me to court again to try and foreclose on my property for what was originally $2500 owed but is now $5400 with her lame legal fees. I am currently negotiating the sale of my car so I can pay these fees and get her off my back but I harbor a great deal of resentment towards my Condo Association for doing this to me. I would much rather pay taxes than pay a Condo association that sues it's owners. I wish people had more compassion and would hire mediators or collection agents to collect debts on condo fees rather than expensive lawyers that make paying them back extremely painful and difficult.

NC Aggie

Well regardless of what issues you have with your HOA, not paying or withholding payment of dues is not the route to take. You legally would be responsible for any late and collection fees associated with non-payment even if you have a legitimate complaint. I would suggest that you review your HOA Covenant/Rules to see what exactly is stated in it...this would be a good start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">