• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adrian75

What is the name of your state? DC

Hi. I'm currently on a F-1 student visa. I also do cartoon illustration. I've been offered the opportunity to have my artwork sold to newspapers, which means I would have to enter into a contract agreement with a syndicating company to sell them on my behalf. I need to know what are the conditions under which I can sell my own artwork and under what conditions am I allowed to enter into a contract with the company. I'd appreciate a quick response as the contract has already been drawn up. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Natalka

foreign student work situation

Hey Adrian,

I am not a lawyer, but I am a foreign student and I did an extensive research on this a while ago. In short and very general, you cannot work here even as independent contractor, unless you are on OPT or during the summer, or limited hours on campus with the approval of the school. There are a few ways like doing all the work and payment online, or paying the money to your account abroad, or a one time honorarioum, provided that the contract states your foreign address and you don't supply them with your SSN. However, it's inconvenient for the employer, because they have to offset your labor costs and for that you have to be on their books, and they have to supply you with a tax form and even if they don't (because supposedly you live abroad or whatever)... it is still a potentional trouble case. Good luck!

Natalka

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">