• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce/separation after I-751

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

micromed

What is the name of your state?
wisconsin
Hi, Im currently a conditional permanent resident. I filed I-751 jointly with my wife( US citizen) in january 2004 and still awaiting its approval. Our marriage was entered in good faith, but since last few months our relationship has been getting worse , due to both personal and financial reasons. Both me and my wife are thinking of getting separated and/or divorced in the next few months. I am not sure how our separation/divorce is gonna effect my I-751 processing, especially when our marriage has come to a point when we can hardly stay together anymore. Please give me some legal advice about what my options are at this time ??? is it possible for me to continue to process for my permanent residency after separation/divorce or will I be deported to my home country ?? will I be able to stay in USA and work on any other visa ??? I will appreciate your legal advice.

ImmigAttyLana

Most likely you will have to undergo an interview before the I-751 is adjudicated so you will need to make sure you have sufficient supporting documentation at that time to sustain your burden of proving that the marriage was bona fide when entered into and up through the separation/divorce. Remember that the burden of proof is on you so you will need to make sure your evidence is solid. If the USCIS does not believe it is, your green card status will be revoked.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

czchick13

Hi there, I am in the same situation as you. Did you go through with the divorce yet? Is there any advice you could give as what to do? Thank you.

sgavilano

seeking divorce

I live in CT can anyone help me? I have been married almost one year my husband is from another country our first interview is in march i dont think our marriage will go on much longer what do i do?undefined

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">