• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cant pay fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JerzeeGrl

What is the name of your state?NJ: Hi, I currently owe about 2000$ in fines for traffic. (driving w/ no insurance, reg, and driving while suspended). I incurred these fines because, my ex-husband, who is currently in state prison, never told me he spent our car insurance money on drugs. Meanwhile, I am a single mother of 3, on welfare. I have warrants for my arrest that I had already been picked up for twice before, however I was allowed to make payment arrangements. I can not meet these arrangements, or any other arrangements at this point in my life, because I am still trying to adjust to the whole single mom life, and find employment. The judges in NJ will offer you to pay the fine, or go to jail for 20$ a day credit. Obviously I can not go to jail w/ 3 children, but I would like to get this matter resolved. I do not like the fact of having warrants. I am scared to turn myself in, because I am afraid they won't let me go. How should I approach this? Thanks

Y

ylen13

ask the judge for community service instead of paying the fee or going to jail. If you are taken to jail and you being a single mom your children will be taken by protective service unless you have some relative that can take them during the time you're in jail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">