• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k profit sharing question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark F.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I am in Massachusetts and in 2000 I had left a company in which had been working for 3 years and the year before leaving I had partaken in the 401k/profit sharing program offered through the company. I had received a letter with a layout/personal statement of the vested balance and that a break-in-service occurs on september 30,2001(the anniversary date of my departure of the company.) and that I would be 'eligible to elect to receive a distribution of your vested value in the above plan following the above date'...and that the appropriate forms would be sent to me when the valuation of the date has been completed. Well, the company at this point no longer exists and was sold to a competitor and I never did receive any of the forms. The amount vested is under $3,500 and according to the plan documents would be automatically be paid to me within a reasonable time frame after I had stopped working. What can I do about this situation since the company no longer is in existance???? Any replies would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You,

Mark F.

Last edited:

Beth3

Well, the company at this point no longer exists and was sold to a competitor and I never did receive any of the forms. You need to contact the successor organization. They will have assumed the responsibility and liability for administering the 401(k) Plan and assets of the company they acquired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">