• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mirrors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StillSane

What is the name of your state? Florida

Not a serious situation but I would like to know because it is bugging the heck out of me.

Today we were on a Sunday drive out of our area and got pulled over, because of 'no rearview mirror'. It fell off a couple of weeks ago and the glue stuff didn't hold the fix. So, true we don't have one stuck on windshield, it was under the seat.

They also searched the truck (with permission and a by all means from us)
and said 'we were clean'. Small ticket, $71 bucks, put the mirror on show a cop and pay just 4 bucks..so no biggie.

Question is this...we have two huge side mirrors on truck. Are these not considered rear view mirrors? Or side only?

I am thinking we were stopped because we were driving slow gawking at the architecture and homes for sale while being in a section of town we didn't know was the "new crack town" of a certain city. Cop followed us for several minutes which we knew but didn't think about we were just putzing along pointing and looking. He was a rookie and fresh on the street, his Sarge came and stood around and he did the search of the interior while the kid took forever with his statute book and writing the ticket. (Super bowl eagerness to keep undesirables off their streets probably)

I looked in the Florida handbook (drivers) and it says: "Mirrors: Your car must have at least one rearview mirror which gives a view of the highway at least 200 feet to the rear." Reason I question is this, "at least one rearview mirror ", who has more than one on their windshield? Side mirrors give that view just not directly behind vehicle.

I know, I know....glue and pay the 4 bucks. It's already been re-glued so we will see if this goop holds it this time.

Thank you and enjoy your week.

Y

ylen13

don't know the florida law but generally if you have 2 side mirrors then you don't have to have inside mirror, however cops seems to be not aware of this and still issue a ticket, known couple of people who got this same type of ticket in ca.

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
don't know the florida law but generally if you have 2 side mirrors then you don't have to have inside mirror, however cops seems to be not aware of this and still issue a ticket, known couple of people who got this same type of ticket in ca.
In CA you have to have two - ONE of which must be the left side mirror.

- Carl

Y

ylen13

CdwJava said:
In CA you have to have two - ONE of which must be the left side mirror.

- Carl
they are getting ticket for not having inside mirror whille having 2 outside, unless i am reading law incorrectly they are not breaking any laws.

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
they are getting ticket for not having inside mirror whille having 2 outside, unless i am reading law incorrectly they are not breaking any laws.
And they should have been able to beat the charge easily. All that is required is a left side mirror and at least one other (either rearview and/or right side) ... in California, that is.

- Carl

Y

ylen13

CdwJava said:
And they should have been able to beat the charge easily. All that is required is a left side mirror and at least one other (either rearview and/or right side) ... in California, that is.

- Carl
they did win easy but why can't cops just learn the law. So far one person got a ticket twice for same thing. Basically it waist of time.

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
they did win easy but why can't cops just learn the law. So far one person got a ticket twice for same thing. Basically it waist of time.
Maybe so. Sometimes even the police are in error. And not every officer has the same level of experience ... and have you SEEN the Vehicle Code?

Personally, if I'm not sure of a particular section, I won't stop for it until I have looked it up and know it. That doesn't mean everyone does it the same way.

It's one of those annoying things about life.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">