• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of status for ss#

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jolida72

What is the name of your state?ny. is it possible to just file for status adjustment without the ead and still get a non working social security number?

ImmigAttyLana

No, but why would you not file for an EAD and get a SS# that will allow you to work? It seems a bit strange to have a SS# unless you can actually use it for something useful like a job.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

jolida72

thank you lana. actually i was hoping to save a couple of $$ by just changing my status and when we amended our income tax with a ss#(lost the earned income credit by me using a tax id #) then i would have applied for the ead. i really only wanted a ss# for tax and driving purposes. (my husband and i don't think it would be cost efficient for me to work at the moment and have to pay child care costs). In a few years, when our now 9 year old daughter would be old enough to stay home then i would like to work, and to be honest my husband has supported us for the last 11 years so a few more years aren't really going to hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">