• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midnightstar811

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I seperated, the last of Sept-2004. I filed for SSI, in Oct-2004. I recieved a phone call that I was approved, in January-2005. I have allready recieved my back pay for Oct to Jan, from SSI. I will be divorced in Febuary-2005.
If my ex-husband, and I file jointly, as he supported me, untill Oct-2004. If he recieves income tax return (money). Will I be intitled to a portion of it, without it affecting my SSI check? Or will it be considered imcome or money allready had? Thanks

BL

If you receive an amount , you should contact your Local SSA office and provide proof . If you don't you most likely at some point will receive a Letter that they learned you received that amount and from where , and intentions to recoup it . You can then ask for a Waiver Form to file .

They may or may not waive it .

I would just be upfront with them to Begin with .

bjl1105

this policy info is available to the public

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0500815270!opendocument

it states:

SI 00815.270 Income Tax Refunds
Citations:

Regulation - 20 CFR 416.1103(d)

POLICY
1. General
Any amount refunded on income taxes already paid is not income. :)

2. Tax Withheld Prior to SSI Application Date
Income tax refunds are not income even if the income from which the tax was withheld or paid was received in a period prior to application for SSI benefits.
:D

Oh happy day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">