• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD Back Payment Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boxthree

My state is Pennsylvania .

I have a question. I was recently approved for SSD. I recieved the letter about an online password before I recieved my approval notice. I called in and they confirmed that I was approved, and my monthly payment is $897 a month.

Here is the thing, I want to know what my back payment will be. I was born disabled, with bad scoliosis that causes pain, a deformed left arm, and a deformed right hand. When I filed, I put January 2, 2004 as the day I became disabled, and I filed in July of 2004. I used January 2, 2004, because that is when I stopped working. I worked full time from the time I was 18 until now, and I am 25. I know I should get back pay from June 2004 - January 2005, but is it possible I may get more because I was born disabled. I hear they can go as far back as 12 months from the day you were considered disabled. Does that mean I may get back pay from June 2003 - January 2005, because I was born disabled. My father said that he tried to get SSI or SSD for me when I was younger, but was denied because he made too much even though I was deemed totally disabled. SSA confirmed this when I filed initally, but said a new case had to be filed to determine if I was "still disabled".

Any advice?

BL

If your Father applied , and the application was denied , no matter what happened ,in the end , that was the end for that application .

You re applied years later and say you are approved. You will be getting a Letter of what amounts you will receive , and for what dates .

Last edited:

bjl1105

boxthree said:
My state is Pennsylvania .

I have a question. I was recently approved for SSD. I recieved the letter about an online password before I recieved my approval notice. I called in and they confirmed that I was approved, and my monthly payment is $897 a month.

Here is the thing, I want to know what my back payment will be. I was born disabled, with bad scoliosis that causes pain, a deformed left arm, and a deformed right hand. When I filed, I put January 2, 2004 as the day I became disabled, and I filed in July of 2004. I used January 2, 2004, because that is when I stopped working. I worked full time from the time I was 18 until now, and I am 25. I know I should get back pay from June 2004 - January 2005, but is it possible I may get more because I was born disabled. I hear they can go as far back as 12 months from the day you were considered disabled. Does that mean I may get back pay from June 2003 - January 2005, because I was born disabled. My father said that he tried to get SSI or SSD for me when I was younger, but was denied because he made too much even though I was deemed totally disabled. SSA confirmed this when I filed initally, but said a new case had to be filed to determine if I was "still disabled".

Any advice?
Your eligibility is based on your established date of onset (the day you became unable to do substantial work ) and your date of filing. There is a full 5 month waiting period from your date of disability that you are not paid any benefits. If your disability was established as 01/02/04, the first month you could be eligible for payment would be 07/2004. You could not receive back pay to 06/2003 because your disability wasnt established back that far (and not likely would have been if you were working full time). Your father's application was most likely for SSI. Before being considered eligible for SSI, you must first meet a financial needs based test (before addressing the issue of disability). Your father made too much money, precluding SSI. As far as your SSD retroactive benefits are concerned, you could call the 800 # and get a new PIN for the internet so you can access your own record. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">