• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to stop, bicycle CA UCSB.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucaskacher

CALIFORNIA

I am a college student living in a small college town (1 mi x 1 mi) called Isla Vista next to UCSB. Biking is the most frequent way to get around places in IV and to school. One day on my way home from class 4 sherrifs were parked at a central location citing every bicycle that passed through a stop sign without stopping.

I was furious, here a law that no one even knew existed, OR has followed in the years that Isla Vista has been a college community. They flagged down over 50 people as i was waiting for my ticket, like a boy in queue for a ride only this ride was going to be to the santa barbara superior court.

I'm furious it was merely an act of quote fill the city will have made over $2000 in the bail forfiture.

My questions are this:
Will this result in a point on my driving records.
What ground do i have to argue this ticket.

I feel that since no standardized test is necessary for the operation and movement of a bicycle such laws are arbitrary.

Also i asked the officer if that meant that bicycles were supposed to follow all of the rules of cars, and he said yes. So i questioned his reasoning for not giving me a ticket for failure to signal, and he responded that it was not necessary to signal if no one was around. i called bull**** on him.

Whatever

any help would be great.
i have a month to appear and the ticket is $161.

Thanks.

Y

ylen13

did the city have a serious accident were a bicycle was involved and was serious injured as result of not stoping at stop sign?

Not sure if you can fight the ticket as you're required to follow basic road laws such as to stop at stop sign and signal etc.

Regarding the on your DL, i do not see that happening as you don't have DL for bycicle as they can't put on your car DL as its for operating a car and not a bicycle.

spiderweb73

Good luck.

I feel that since no standardized test is necessary for the operation and movement of a bicycle such laws are arbitrary.
Bike laws in CA <---This link officially lets you know you are probably out of luck.

You are lucky that he/she didn't give you a ticket for not using arm signals also. Sounds like the cops found "easy prey" in college students :mad: !
As far as points or any other penalties, I don't have that information. A DUI on a bike or BUI in a boat will go on your DL, but I'm not sure about a failure to stop ticket. My guess would be it is the same in this case too.

Most states DO have the same laws that Cali has about bikes. Good luck in your fight! :D

CdwJava

lucaskacher said:
I am a college student living in a small college town (1 mi x 1 mi) called Isla Vista next to UCSB. Biking is the most frequent way to get around places in IV and to school. One day on my way home from class 4 sherrifs were parked at a central location citing every bicycle that passed through a stop sign without stopping.
Good for them. Bicycles are required to follow essentially the same rules of the road as motor vehicles in CA. Running a stop sign is a violation of CVC 22450.

I was furious, here a law that no one even knew existed, OR has followed in the years that Isla Vista has been a college community.
They should have known! Heck, I knew that you had to stop for a stop sign when I was in grade school ... in the 60's!

They flagged down over 50 people as i was waiting for my ticket, like a boy in queue for a ride only this ride was going to be to the santa barbara superior court.
And I will guess that the problem of bicycles clogging the roadway (endangering each other and motor vehicles attempting to pass through the intersection) will be greatly reduced by the officers' actions.

I'm furious it was merely an act of quote fill the city will have made over $2000 in the bail forfiture.
What is an "act of quote"? Additionally, you said it was the Sheriff ... those citations do not go to the city. And isn't Isla Vista outside the city limits of Santa Barbara anyway? I believe it is in Goleta which is in the County.

And, as a point of reference, moving citations like this provide the local government with a miniscule amount of revenue ... parking enforcement is where we can make bank.

My questions are this:
Will this result in a point on my driving records.
I do not believe it will. My reading of CVC 12810 seems to indicate that a point would only accrue if you had been operating a motor vehicle.

What ground do i have to argue this ticket.
None that I can see.

No test is given for you walking ... should you thus be held unaccountable for the act of walking in front of a car? Or walking onto someone's property? Should you be permitted to just ride your bicycle willy-nilly as you please?

You ride the bicycle on the public roadway and you have to expect there to be some regulation.

Plus, unless you lived in a cave and never had a driver's license or driver's training, you KNEW that a stop sign meant, "stop".

Also i asked the officer if that meant that bicycles were supposed to follow all of the rules of cars, and he said yes.
He was correct.

So i questioned his reasoning for not giving me a ticket for failure to signal, and he responded that it was not necessary to signal if no one was around.
He was correct. The law states that signaling was required only if it can potentially impact the movement of other vehicles (or language to that effect.

i called bull**** on him.
Very rude on your part.

i have a month to appear and the ticket is $161.
Ouch!

Don't miss the court date - an warrant can issue for your arrest.

- Carl

CdwJava

spiderweb73 said:
A DUI on a bike or BUI in a boat will go on your DL, but I'm not sure about a failure to stop ticket. My guess would be it is the same in this case too.
Actually, to clarify, I believe that a bicycle DUI (CVC 21200.5) would not be a point on your license.

Point issues can be found in CVC 12810 through CVC 12814 et. seq.

- Carl

Bicycling

I bike everywhere bacause my license is currently suspended. Street riding is very dangerous expecially during rush hour and in the dark, and following traffic saftely rules is a must if you don't want to get killed or become a paraplegic. I have lights and mirrors. There are bikers all around where I ride that ride in the street, at dusk and in the dark with no lights that run through traffic lights and stop signs all the time. No too smart.

Someone probably complained about the bikers there not stopping at the stop sign. So the sherrifs did a checkpoint.

I will agree with you that the ticket fine cost is rediculous.

CdwJava

Alchohol_Free said:
I bike everywhere bacause my license is currently suspended. Street riding is very dangerous expecially during rush hour and in the dark, and following traffic saftely rules is a must if you don't want to get killed or become a paraplegic. I have lights and mirrors. There are bikers all around where I ride that ride in the street, at dusk and in the dark with no lights that run through traffic lights and stop signs all the time. No too smart.

Someone probably complained about the bikers there not stopping at the stop sign. So the sherrifs did a checkpoint.

I will agree with you that the ticket fine cost is rediculous.
I have often said that it is almost impossible to legally ride a bicycle after dark. With all the laws that apply to bicycles, an experienced officer can almost always find reason to stop a bicycle ... and at night, that cause is even easier due to the reflector and lighting requirements that are almost never adhered to properly.

- Carl

CdwJava

Alchohol_Free said:
Well, if you saw how I light up like a christmas tree, you'd probably leave me alone :D
Ah! Then there is plan B ... what COLOR are the lights? And which ones are flashing? ;)

- Carl

Hehe!

Flashing red tail lamp and flashing white head lamp.

P.S. - Since I use rear view mirrors, I can see you comming and get out of the street. muhahahahaha!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">