• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not getting full vacation due to timing issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

novaca

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois IL

I have an issue with my employer about when vacation starts accruing.

here are the fact: I have a start date at the beginning of the year, after 6 mo I get half my 1st year vacation.

After the calander year end I get my full vacation for the next year.

After the 1 yr anniversary of my 1st year, I do not receive the 2nd half of my 1st year vacation.

The response received why? from management states there has to be (as in required) a cut off date, and this company uses the calendar year. Also, there is a union agreement, but as it is not specifically spelled out, the company has interpreted the agreement to mean this.

I've worked 11 month out of the year, shouldn't I at least get a partial amount of the 2nd half of vacation?

Can you reference any laws on this matter? My union/company are dragging their feet.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under the law? No.

The law does not dictate how, or whether, an employer accrues vacation. That's entirely a matter of company policy. For that matter, the law does not require that an employer offer you paid vacation in the first place. Your vacation accrues the way your employer says it does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">