• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selective Law Enforcement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneofmany

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

My brother, a friend of ours and I went to a liquour store yesterday and attempted to purchase alcohol. When we got to the checkout lane, one cashier insisited on us coming to her lane. My brother, my friend and I were the only African Americans in the store and I could tell by her attitude that she had something against us. The store wasn't really crowded and there was only one person at each register.

So, my friend and I go to her lane, while my brother goes to the ATM. She does not even begin to ring his things up, and asks both of us for our IDs. My friend gives her his license, and then I give her my state ID. She tells me that she will only accept a license. Remember that my friend is the one making the purchase. I never touched the alcohol.

I glance over my shoulder and see a White woman with two young girls, I assume they are her daughters. They have a cart with about six cases of beer in the cart, and the girls are pushing it. The two of them are between 10 and 13. I ask the cashier if the two girls will be carded and she responds by saying something like, "Those are children with their mother." I respond by saying that my friend is my father. So she gets pissed and tells us she is not serving us.

After that, there was a nasty exchange of words between her and I. Then she called the security guard and he asked us to leave. He actually wasn't a jerk about it.

So can businesses selectively card people when buying alcohol? Is a state ID insufficient. Are children exempt from being carded? Are minors not allowed in certain liquor stores? Are you only carded if you look like you may be old enough to drink?

I'm am furious about this. This type of thing has happened to me many times before. Some White people in positions of power abuse their authority and unfairly hold me to a higher standard than White people. It's frustrating when they stay within the law even though they are blatantly being racist.

What can I do about this? Can I sue? I want the place to go out of business. Oh, also, my friend said they do this all the time to African Americans, if that makes a difference.

BelizeBreeze

21-3-23 IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED. If a licensee or his agents or employees believe or have reason to believe that a sale or delivery of any alcoholic liquor is prohibited because of the age of the prospective recipient, he shall, before making such sale or delivery, demand presentation of some form of positive identification, containing proof of age, issued by a public officer in the performance of his official duties.

Proof that the defendant/licensee or his employees or agent demanded, was shown, and reasonably relied upon such written evidence in any transaction forbidden by this section is competent evidence and may be considered in any criminal prosecution therefor or in any proceedings for the suspension or revocation of any license based thereon. (See 235 ILCS Sec. 5/6-20)

Well I guess that blows you "I'm a po black child who been dissed" argument out of the water. Unless you can prove that the gentlement you were with were a parents or guardians, which, by the way, is perfectly legal in the State of Illinois.

Having a smart mouth and a chip on your should qualifies you to get your butt booted out of the store and nothing more.

But then, the store could have called the police and have them served a trespassing warrant on you so that you could never enter again and they would have been well within their rights. Then you'd have to buy your Thunderbird on the street.

So now, what are your options? I guess you could sue the racist clerk for not accepting your Identification but then you'd have to sue your city for it's ordinance which leave up to the individual business which form of identification it will accept.

O.K. so why not sue the store? Well, that's the price of living in a free society. That store enjoys the same freedom as you do. And because of that, it can choose not to service you for just about any reason except a protected class, which could be race, but then you'd be in court for years trying to prove that they serve NO BLACKS whatsoever. You don't have the money for that.

There IS an option that will work but only for your friends. They can leave you at home so that next time they want a cold Cold 45 Malt your smart mouth won't stand in the way.

Not THAT'S an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

oneofmany

I didn't even read most of your message. But you are a racist. You call other people racist, then proceed to mock me because of my race. You truely are an idiot. And I promise you, if you were standing in front of me, you would not be such a ..... You average 28 posts a day, loser. You really should find something better to do with your time. And next time I'll just slap the the cashier. So thanks, idiot. You must feel real tough insulting people from you desk. And once again, you're not funny.

BelizeBreeze

oneofmany said:
I didn't even read most of your message. But you are a racist. You call other people racist, then proceed to mock me because of my race. You truely are an idiot. And I promise you, if you were standing in front of me, you would not be such a ....... You average 28 posts a day, loser. You really should find something better to do with your time. And next time I'll just slap the cashier. So thanks, idiot. You must feel real tough insulting people from you desk. And once again, you're not funny.
See what happens when you spend most of your life looking for a reason to play the race card? You actually begin believing that crap.

But that's o.k. Nothing the cashier did was illegal. In fact, it was your smart mouth that cause you to be lead out of the store. It was your smart mouth that precipitated the event and your smart mouth that is probably going to keep you from achieving anything in life.

So, why don't you take that smart mouth, walk into any attorney's office and plunk down about $5,000 and demand they file a class action discrimination suit against the store. Hell, hire Al Sharpton. He's stupid enought to take on a worthless case.

And when, in 10 years and about $100,000 later you lose, come on back and let us know how your doing....:D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oneofmany said:
I didn't even read most of your message. But you are a racist. You call other people racist, then proceed to mock me because of my race. You truely are an idiot. And I promise you, if you were standing in front of me, you would not be such a ...... You average 28 posts a day, loser. You really should find something better to do with your time. And next time I'll just slap the cashier. So thanks, idiot. You must feel real tough insulting people from you desk. And once again, you're not funny.

My response:

Hey, Slappy!

I thought Belize was very funny. Don't you see the logic - mixed with humor - that was being shared with you?

IAAL

oneofmany

Bah!

Just because playing the race card won't work this time doesn't mean it won't work in the future. But I have patience. Ha! I don't have a fro, and I don't drink Thunderbird. Seriously, Thunderbird?! Also, nobody has used the word "diss" since '97.

How can you assume I haven't achieved anything so far in my life? I guess I should apologize for being in a liquor store, though you don't see a problem with (or anything funny about) the hundreds of White customers that bought beer from the store that day. So that piece of trash that was with her daughters buying cases of beer to pour down her mullet-skulled nascar watching husband's throat so he could pound on them again should be allowed to buy as much alcohol as she likes?

Sharpton's hair would disqualify him from being considered. I'm going after Cochrane. Long live OJ. I bet getting away with stuff by flouting this joke of a justice system wasn't so funny then, was it?

So maybe she wasn't being racist. I still want to kick her in the crotch. What's wrong with that? Controlling substances doesn't do any good anyway. All of the laws on alcohol are worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">