• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple tickets, same day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonphixion

What is the name of your state? New York City

I got 3 tickets parking too close to a fire hydrant in New york City. One was at 6:10 am, the other at 7:00 am and another at 7:40 am. I got to my car at 8 am. Is this legal? Honestly, they should at least give me a chance to move my car instead of whackin me with 3 tickets for the same violation. Any help?

Y

ylen13

you saying they gave you 3 different ticket for the same offence, on the same day, and the car was not moved and you didn't remove the parking ticket from the window? if so then then 1 you have to pay and the second and third ticket you should fight. Seems like they ignore that the ticket that you got and gave you just another one.

edit:any lawyers from new york can you commet if there is some special 40min rule that says they can give you another ticket if you didn't move the car by that time?

You Are Guilty

ylen13 said:
you saying they gave you 3 different ticket for the same offence, on the same day, and the car was not moved and you didn't remove the parking ticket from the window? if so then then 1 you have to pay and the second and third ticket you should fight. Seems like they ignore that the ticket that you got and gave you just another one.

edit:any lawyers from new york can you commet if there is some special 40min rule that says they can give you another ticket if you didn't move the car by that time?
And that is completely incorrect. I'm too lazy to pull the cite, but NYC legally permits you to be ticketed every minute you are committing a violation.

That being said, PVB is not completely heartless, so if you go in person for a hearing and explain that you'll pay the first one and plead (poverty/insanity/incurable testicular cancer), they may, repeat may throw out, or at least reduce the other two. They are in no way required to do so, so being contrite would go a long way to helping your case.

Speaking from experience (well over 50+ parking tickets of my own), I'd say your chances on getting off on the latter two are near zero. First, they are too far temporally removed from the first -- usually 0-5 minutes they let slide, and after that, it's a crap shoot. Second, and more importantly, they are not particularly lenient about hydrant tickets, so you've got two strikes against you already.

You best potential bet is to hope that some of the tickets are written improperly. Check some of my old posts to find the link to the PVB website that explains which incorrect information renders the tickets void.

Y

ylen13

"You Are Guilty" that sound ridiculously stupid law. So if you park in a place for 2 hours they can give you allot of ticket even do they already ticket for that offence?

edit:

here is the link explaning on what baes a ticket can be dismised link

Last edited:

CdwJava

It might be possible to plead guilty for the first one and pay the fine, asking to have the others dropped. But, there is no guarantee.

Where I used to work in CA, the unwritten rule was that we would issue the same citation each hour. Since that was usually the minimum amount of time that would pass before a parking enforcement was on their next roud, that was sort of the rule. very often they would not re-issue the citation at all unless it remained for quite some time.

I suspect it's similar in NYC.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

ylen13 said:
"You Are Guilty" that sound ridiculously stupid law. So if you park in a place for 2 hours they can give you allot of ticket even do they already ticket for that offence?
Hey, I don't write the laws :)

But the answer is yes, as written, that could happen. (I highly doubt they'd acually make you pay all 119 tickets, but you never know).

The issue is that people believe that once they get one ticket, they can't be "re-ticketed" for the same offense and think, in essence, that they just "bought" their parking spot till they move.

Like I said, 0-5 minute dismissals are almost a given. After that, usually you at least have a shot at up to an hour. Over an hour and there's not much hope.

Y

ylen13

You Are Guilty said:
Hey, I don't write the laws :)

But the answer is yes, as written, that could happen. (I highly doubt they'd acually make you pay all 119 tickets, but you never know).

The issue is that people believe that once they get one ticket, they can't be "re-ticketed" for the same offense and think, in essence, that they just "bought" their parking spot till they move.

Like I said, 0-5 minute dismissals are almost a given. After that, usually you at least have a shot at up to an hour. Over an hour and there's not much hope.
In CA parking officer tell people since you got the ticket just stay here till you need to move. Guess different philosopy then in new york, also could be different law.

NYnative

help for parking

State: NY

There are sites you can go to which help you fight your tickets - I have received tickets beyond counting and am currently going through a mess with the city right now. But you may want to google i think it is parking tickets .com or something to that effect. They claim to have a 66% dismissal rate - if it is not dismissed you owe them nothing. Fight it - you don't have anything to lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">