• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Maintenance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof4woohoo

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I will try to make this as short as possible and keep the info relevant.

My mom is just starting to go through, what is starting to be, a pretty messy divorce. Her husband has retained a lawyer and she just went to a consultation with a lawyer today. She is getting conflicting information about spousal maintenance. Her potential lawyer said that she should be getting temporary maintenance and when she told his lawyer that....he said no.

I don't know if the info I am about to tell you is relevant but I will relay it just in case it is.

They own a home here and a home in Kansas as well. They were planning on living in Kansas after her and her husband retired. She retired first and they both decided that she should live in Kansas about a year and a half ago so that she could find a job and get things set up for when he retired so they would have a head start on things. She found a great job working for the city and would come home every weekend to be with him.

Well of course them being apart that much didn't work and he ended up cheating on her. She found out and after much debate..he begged her to quit her job and move back here to Colorado. So she did...and 6 months later he filed for divorce. :mad:

She is 60 years old and finding another job making enough to support herself is proving to be a pretty tough task.
She she be getting maintenance? Temp or otherwise?

Sorry...that was probably longer than it should have been.

ENASNI

2 words

huh? and Huh? he didn't work? no monies from hunka hunka burnin' love before.

more information please

Had to edit, my daughter got on my name and answered with some talkspeak from her generation that I didn't quite understand... sorry won't let it happen again. :eek:

Last edited:

nextwife

I, too, am confused. If she is working, and he not, WHY would there be maintenance from him? Is he that much younger than her that his getting a new job "at his age" would be easier than it would be for her?

LdiJ

momof4woohoo said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I will try to make this as short as possible and keep the info relevant.

My mom is just starting to go through, what is starting to be, a pretty messy divorce. Her husband has retained a lawyer and she just went to a consultation with a lawyer today. She is getting conflicting information about spousal maintenance. Her potential lawyer said that she should be getting temporary maintenance and when she told his lawyer that....he said no.

I don't know if the info I am about to tell you is relevant but I will relay it just in case it is.

They own a home here and a home in Kansas as well. They were planning on living in Kansas after her and her husband retired. She retired first and they both decided that she should live in Kansas about a year and a half ago so that she could find a job and get things set up for when he retired so they would have a head start on things. She found a great job working for the city and would come home every weekend to be with him.

Well of course them being apart that much didn't work and he ended up cheating on her. She found out and after much debate..he begged her to quit her job and move back here to Colorado. So she did...and 6 months later he filed for divorce. :mad:

She is 60 years old and finding another job making enough to support herself is proving to be a pretty tough task.
She she be getting maintenance? Temp or otherwise?

Sorry...that was probably longer than it should have been.
She needs to retain her attorney and stop talking to his attorney. NEVER listen to legal advice from the opposing party's attorney. Whether or not she will be able to get alimony depends on the financial factors and how long they have been married. She may have the right to share in his pension.

LdiJ

nextwife said:
I, too, am confused. If she is working, and he not, WHY would there be maintenance from him? Is he that much younger than her that his getting a new job "at his age" would be easier than it would be for her?
My impression is that she is not working, that she hasn't found a job that can support her since she moved back to Colorado...at his request...

It appears that he is retired, and therefore has retirement income from which spousal support may be taken.

Clearly the length of their marriage is going to be a factor.

momof4woohoo

Actually he has not retired yet. He still has 3 more years before he can retire. They have been married 14 years.

Thank you for your replies.

djohnson

She needs to actually hire the attorney and not just consult or she won't get anything. I think she would be awarded something by the judge but who knows. Sometimes it comes down to who has the best attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">