• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to yield on left turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paw721

What is the name of your state? ohio
I received a ticket for failure to yield on a left turn. My car was stopped at a red light. Another car (police cruiser) pulled up the the opposite side of the street at the red light. When the light turned green, he did not move, After yielding, he still did not move, so I made my left turn in front of him.
I was given a ticket for failure to yield. There was no hazard whatsoever. The officer said he had to brake for me, and gave me a ticket. The law says that the car has to be approaching the intersection for me to be guilty. The offiicer was stopped, and therefore was NOT approaching the intersection. It also says that beyond a reasonable doubt, I caused a hazard. It seems almost impossible for there NOT to be reasonable doubt on whether a hazard was caused, since you only have the testimony of the police officer, and me. If you weigh my testimony equally to the testimony of the officer, (the officer wasn't scared - he didn't slam on his brakes, he was quite calm and collected while giving me a ticket - no anger whatsoever from me "causing an aleged hazard or an accident.") I don't even believe he needed to step on his brakes. He must have started shortly after I turned left. But I was way down the street before he ever put on his lights to give me a ticket. My honest view is that there was in no way a hazard, and I completely yielded to the other car. Any suggestions on getting a non-guilty verdict ?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

"...Any suggestions on getting a non-guilty verdict ?...'

You are probably out of luck; when you turn into the other vehicle's lane of travel, you are just about guilty of anything if something goes wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">