• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkemski

What is the name of your state? Utah :confused:
I worked for This company for almost 6 years. I left to gain some managment experience that this company was not providing me. After 1 month the new job did not work out. I re-applied for an open position with my old employer 3 months after I had left. They did not hire me and were very rude to me in the interview, and it was mentioned to me by another getting interviewed that they were rude to me. During the training class for the people who got hired, the training department, which is a part of HR made a comment to the new hire class that I left and wanted my job back but they would never hire me back. They stated that I would never work for this company again. I left on good terms and was supposed to have a bridge of 2 years with my employment there. My performance on the job was excellent, I was a leader and constantly looked to for training and advice by my peers. My question is, does that comment violate some EOE law? I am curious because shortly after that they called me to interview for a position and were being extremely skittish and weird. Do I have a case? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

mkemski said:
What is the name of your state? Utah :confused:
I worked for This company for almost 6 years. I left to gain some managment experience that this company was not providing me. After 1 month the new job did not work out. I re-applied for an open position with my old employer 3 months after I had left. They did not hire me and were very rude to me in the interview, and it was mentioned to me by another getting interviewed that they were rude to me. During the training class for the people who got hired, the training department, which is a part of HR made a comment to the new hire class that I left and wanted my job back but they would never hire me back. They stated that I would never work for this company again. I left on good terms and was supposed to have a bridge of 2 years with my employment there. My performance on the job was excellent, I was a leader and constantly looked to for training and advice by my peers. My question is, does that comment violate some EOE law? I am curious because shortly after that they called me to interview for a position and were being extremely skittish and weird. Do I have a case? Thank you for your time.

Was any of this in writing?

mkemski

No. None of it was in writing. The only thing I can get in writing is the testimony of the new hire training group.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in your post suggests that you have any legal recourse. Barring an enforceable contract that specifically says otherwise, your company has no legal obligation to rehire you.

Unless you have a valid reason to believe that you were not hired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin and so on (and if that is the case I question why they would have hired you the first time) this is not illegal discrimination. The law does not require them to hire you back just because you want them to.

mkemski

OK. Thank you very much for your time and advice. I was only curious because of EOE laws and they were acting nuts! Thanks again...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Equal Opportunity laws apply only in the cases of race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy or when you are over 40. Depending on your state, it can include such things as marital status sexual orientation, or a few others, but your state follows Federal laws so the first list is complete for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">