• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI info for child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beantown55

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I have custody of my 6 yr old grandson. His father died July 31, 04. I have been trying to collect benefits for him since his dad's death.

My grandson has a sister (my granddaughter) that was living with their fathers cousin. The father and cousin had joint custody of her. When the father died the cousin collected benefits for the daughter. When she heard i was trying to collect for the son she threw a fit and said the boy was not the fathers son. The father is not on either one of there birth certificates. He did not pay child support on either one of the children ever. The only reason the father took custody of the grandaughter was because the cousin wanted her she never lived with the father. (the mother my daughter is an addict) The father never said anything about the son not being his. The cousin had the documated court joint custody paper to be able to establish paternity.

I now have come to the understanding that there was money and property left in his estate which is in probate and the grandmother and cousin are afraid that to signs an affidavied saying the grandson is her son's son then he will be intitled to half the estate which he will them split with his sister. Which his family does not want to happen. And now the cousin and other grandmother are at war over the estate. I just want benefits for my grandson he deserves them plus most of the money and property in the estate is drug money. And i really don't want him to be a part of that it has caused this child his father and mother. I would like to see him get what his father legally made. I don't mean to sound self rightous it's i have seen the damage it has done. Thanks for any help you can give.

The only thing i have is taxes that he filed using the son ss# will that help?Does anyone have any advice. How do I get a DNA test done if the father is deceased? Please help me.

bjl1105

Contact your local Social Security office and ask what documents they will accept as proof of paternity to draw any Social Security Survivors benefits. Perhaps the tax returns would be sufficient. File an actual application for the child, then you will get a formal decision. SSI benefits are NOT based on paternity. If the child is disabled, file for SSI also. good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">