• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biological Father want to terminate parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchapa

What is the name of your state? Texas

My question to this forum is, How do I terminate my parental rights?
I had a relationship which ended in her getting pregnant. I ended the realtionship. When she gave birth I was there because my Mother made me be there. I was 24 then. I have had no relationship with my ex- or the child since then. And I do not wish to have any type of realtionship or contact with the mother or the child. I need to find out where i can get free legal assistance as i am not able to afford a legal attorney's fees.

Thank you.

snostar

You can only voluntarily terminate your rights for adoption purposes, not because you "don't feel like being a dad" or want to escape your responsibilities.

Grace_Adler

Some states do let terminate your rights without an adoption. However, I'm not 100% sure if TX is one. I believe it is but you need to double check.

Also, you can't be the one to file for the TPR, the mother needs to do that.

I doubt you can get free legal assistance but you can look in the phone book or call the TX Bar and see if they have a referral program, where they can refer you to an attorney for a free or reduced fee consult. You can also ask about legal aid, although I doubt you will get it for this. The other option is to call every family law attorney near you and see if anyone does free consults or one you can afford.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">