• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must be an Attorney???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Str87daze

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? KY

I called the bar here in Ky and I was surprised to find that they did not know the answer, so I wonder if any readers here do. Can anyone practice immigration law or is that restricted to lawyers only? The lady at the state bar said that she didn't think the person had to have a law degree for immigration issues.

lizzcannon

Technically

According to the AILF (American Immigration Law Foundation) website page http://www.ailf.org/imms/im_legal.asp:

An immigration lawyer has studied the immigration laws of the United States and has graduated from law school. He or she is licensed to practice law and is regulated by the State and Federal Government. He or she can help you obtain legal status from the Department of Homeland Security or represent you in Immigration Court.

An accredited representative with a recognized nonprofit agency has been given permission by the U.S. government to help low-income individuals with immigration problems as long as only modest fees are charged.

You should never trust notaries(notarios), or anyone else that is not accredited to practice law. You will get burned. I worked at a great non-profit for eight years and I can't tell you how many tragic cases I saw of people being deported because they didn't seek out good, solid, legal advice earlier.

HomeGuru

Str87daze said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? KY

I called the bar here in Ky and I was surprised to find that they did not know the answer, so I wonder if any readers here do. Can anyone practice immigration law or is that restricted to lawyers only? The lady at the state bar said that she didn't think the person had to have a law degree for immigration issues.

**A: to practice general law or any type of law specialty, including immigration law, the indivdual must be licensed to practice law in the state of practice.

ImmigAttyLana

Actually this is not 100% percent true for immigration law since it is a federal practice and an immigration lawyer does not always have to be licensed in the state where his/her practice is located so long as he/she is admitted to A state bar in the US.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">