• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$1250, is it worth it (California - proof of insurance issue)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wtwthink

I'm a California resident, I live in Los Angeles and my case is with the West Los Angeles Superior Court. I was pulled over in August for no front license plate and given a fix-it ticket for that and because I had no proof of insurance, I was cited for that as well and given a court date. This had been my uncle's car and was under his insurance policy - he had died 2 weeks before - he had paid the insurance from 5/04-5/05. The car is now in my name and under my insurance. The officer issuing the citation illegibly wrote down my driver's license number and so when I called to see about the citation they had no record of any citation because it had been put in the system wrong. I have moved since then and neglected to follow through on this matter (including not showing up in court) until yesterday when I received a notice in the mail from the collection agancy saying that I owed the court $1250. I have preliminarily set up a court date for May 4th to show proof of insurance at the time of the citation, but if that wont remove what I owe I'd rather pay now and not risk a fee increase. Also, my driver's license may have been put on hold by the DMV - I am calling them tomorrow to see if that is the case. Can anyone tell me whether just by showing up in May with proof of insurance at the time whether I will be free of what I owe?

pablobono

You should appear in court in May.... It may not absovle you of all financial responsibility, but it's worth a shot.

It's not uncommon for judges or magistrates to reduce fines, court costs, throw out extraneous charges, etc, but none of us can speak on behalf of the court.

Show up and present your case. Don't try to act like a lawyer, or a know-it-all. Just go, have your documents with you, and you won't be let down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">