• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassed by a police officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kerialison

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

My sister and her husband seem to be being harrassed by a police officer in their city. They moved from texas several months ago back to missouri (where they lived before) but they still have texas plates.
My sister's husband got pulled over about a week and a half ago. The officer said that it was because he had a burnt out taillight (but it was not burnt out). He just said get it fixed and left him with a warning.
My sister was driving home last night with her husband and 3 children. This same officer pulled her over as well as had another officer with him. He said he stopped her because her taillight was out. (it was not). He asked for license and insurance. The officer from before was on the drivers side and his partner was on the passenger side near her husband shining a light in the car. Her husband pulled the insurance out of the glove compartment and handed it to my sister, who gave it to the officer. The other officer said he wanted to her husbands license too, so her handed it over. They went back to the patrol car.
They came back and told my sister that the car wasnt registered in her name (i guess they looked up the TX license plate)and asked to see the registration. Her husband opened up the glove box again and the officer on his side says "i see you have a pill bottle. Can i see it? Whose is it?"
My sister told him it was Beth's (her oldest daughter) suppositories.
The officer states "This doesn't say Beth it says Cathy". (the pill bottle said Cathy A.)
My sister said "Her name is Cathy Alyzabeth".
The officer said "No not Elizabeth (as he assumed the name is spelled), its a different letter.
My sister explained to him her name was Cathy Alyzabeth, she spelled out the name Alyzabeth for him, and told him she's usually called Beth.
My sister then asked since he said it wasnt registered to her who it was registered to. He said he didn't know. She said well if it says John or Jeanette Plunkett then that would be her father and her stepmother and if it said Sara Plunkett that is her maiden name. All he said was "yeah, femake Plunkett".
Then he looked in the backseat and said "she really should be in a carseat" (this was about my sisters oldest child, who was buckled up in the back, not in a carseat. He said "she either has to be 4 years old or over 40 lbs."
My sister told him that she was almost 5 and she was over 40 lbs as well.
The officer said she looks small.
My sister told him that was probably because she was slumped over a little sleeping.
He then said "Yeah well i pulled him over before, why havent you gotten that taillight fixed (which wasnt broken) and the car registered in missouri?"
(the car was completely legal and insured she just hadnt gotten the plates switched from texas yet)
She told him she was planning on registering it the next day (which she was, she had told me about it) but she had just gotten payed the thursday before and she works a lot of hours so she hadnt had time yet. She explained she was doing it the next day because she now had the money and had the day off.
He then said how are you going to register it if you dont have it inspected?
(in missouri they put an inspection sticker in the window and she didnt have one, thats how he knew it wasnt inspected)
She said it takes 10 minutes to get it inspected and that was going to be done tomorrow as well.
He then told her that he worked tomorrow night and that if it wasnt done he was going to give her a ticket.
Then they left.
However soon after my sister and her husband got home and got the kids inside they saw out the window the officers driving by really slowly.
This is a small town in missouri so i suppose they have nothing better to do.
My sister is really irritated this cop keeps harrassing them. They have never done anything and this officer keeps pulling them over for no reason and they havent gotten any tickets because they havent done anything wrong. She wants to know if there is anything she can do. She thought about filing a complaint it the lawrence county sheriffs office but doubts it will do any good.
Does anyone out there have any other ideas? any action she can take? Has this happened to you?
Please post back to me and let me know
Thank you much.

Indiana Filer

kerialison said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

My sister and her husband seem to be being harrassed by a police officer in their city. They moved from texas several months ago back to missouri (where they lived before) but they still have texas plates.
Many states require a person moving into that state to transfer their vehicle registration over within 30 days of moving. Missouri charges a fine for each additional 30 days for which the title isn't transferred to Missouri, up to a maximum of $100. I hope your sister has the extra money to pay that fine.

kerialison

harassment

My sister did not have to pay a fine. She got it registered as normal. My statement wasnt about whether they still had texas plates or not. The plates are not expired...this officer is obviously keeping a watch on them because he has nothing better to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">