• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to handle monies obtained by internet fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrh4498

What is the name of your state? Washington State
My roomate used my profile on a auction site to sell items he obtained by fraudulent means, I didn't know this at the time until the Sercet Service confiscated his computers. The Sercret Service are currently investigating him, they determined that I wasn't involved in what he was doing. The people that won the auctions received their items and they paid buy using my online payment service. My roommate wants access to the funds, my question is if I give him the funds, would I be considered a accomplice, what would be the best, legal way to handle this.

tijerin

I wouldn't mess with the Secret Service if they're involved.

If you have money, that your roommate "allegedly" obtained through selling items he obtained fraudulently and is currently being investigated by the Secret Service for, i would contact the Secret Service, let them know you have the money and ask them what THEY want you to do. Then let your roommate fight the Secret Service for his money.

Then, at least you can prove you acted in good faith and in the interest of justice, rather than facilitating your roommate's fraud.

Keep in mind that if the money was obtained by selling "items he obtained fraudulently" (stolen?) the buyers may have liability and could be made to return the property, then they'd want their money back, I'm sure. I guess it depends on what the property is, how valuable it is, and why the hell the Secret Service is involved.

Must be some pretty interesting "property". :eek:

teflon_jones

What was he selling?

You should contact the Secret Service and tell them the monies from the transactions are in your account, which he used fraudulently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">