• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Driveway catching

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edik

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Today I got a speeding ticket from an officier standing in a residential private driveway clocking drivers as they pass by with a radar. My question is ....are police allowed to stand on a private driveway to clock people?

Thanks in advance,

You Are Guilty

edik said:

Today I got a speeding ticket from an officier standing in a residential private driveway clocking drivers as they pass by with a radar. My question is ....are police allowed to stand on a private driveway to clock people?

Thanks in advance,
Wait, was he standing or sitting? And was he using a radar gun or a stopwatch/clock?

CdwJava

edik said:

Thanks in advance,
Yes, they can. If the owner of the property doesn't want the officer there, that is a an unrelated matter between the property owner and the department.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

CdwJava said:
Yes, they can. If the owner of the property doesn't want the officer there, that is a an unrelated matter between the property owner and the department.

- Carl
You're not helping my setup by giving him the answer right away ya know :p

edik

You Are Guilty said:
Wait, was he standing or sitting? And was he using a radar gun or a stopwatch/clock?

He was sitting in a standing still car and was using a radar to clock me ;)

Last edited:

edik

CdwJava said:

- Carl

Thanks....... figured as much. I was just wondering why he got all defensive when I said something about clocking me from a private drive way.

S

seniorjudge

edik said:

Thanks in advance,
I really want to know: why did you ask this question?

Nothing wrong with that

People in the neighborhood were probably complaining to the police about the driving speeds in your area. I see no problem whatsoever with police using a private drive as a staging point for getting things slowed down.

HomeGuru

Alchohol_Free said:
People in the neighborhood were probably complaining to the police about the driving speeds in your area. I see no problem whatsoever with police using a private drive as a staging point for getting things slowed down.

**A: i would have preferred snipers on the house roof shooting out the tires of speeders.

edik

seniorjudge said:
I really want to know: why did you ask this question?
Just the way the officer reacted when I said " Oh you were standing on a private driveway". He got very defensive from a simple question/statement like he shouldn't have, so it made me think. I wasn't arguing with him and thought I was very polite and said I meant nothing by it and I walked away.
I also thought I heard from somewhere that they couldn't be hiding or using private property to sit and clock people. I guess I was wrong.....

lwpat

The police chief in a local town purchased a house on the main highway with a great big shade tree in the front yard. In the summer time you always knew where to find the chief with his handy dandy radar gun.

He even rigged it with a baby monitor and left it on in the car. He could clock you from his easy chair watching the evening news. Care to guess on the probability of beating a speeding ticket in that town?

edik

Alchohol_Free said:

The area is a speed trap that drops of to 25 mph for a bridge and than back up to normal speed. The police always sit there and I should have known better..... I take the saem road everyday....stupidity on my part :(

S

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
**A: i would have preferred snipers on the house roof shooting out the tires of speeders.
I respectfully disagree.

This creates pot holes.

Or holes of pot.

Can't remember.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">