• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

iwpat, SC speeding ticket, couple more questions, thanks!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unlucky123

What is the name of your state?NC
iwpat, Thank you very much for your response! I have couple of more questions:

1. How does the reduction work? Are we still paying the same amount of money to the court but ask them to reduce it to 10mph ticket? Do we ask the court not sending record to NC at the same time?
2. If I call the clerk of court now, and expressing that we are willing to pay and ask for reduction to a 10mph ticket and not sending the record to NC, will it be ok to do that?
3. If the officer no show, is the ticket automatically dropped?
4. I talked to couple of attorneys in the area and they said they can reduce it to 10mph ticket. Beside the economic consideration as you mentioned, what is the difference between we asked personally and attorney does it for us? Are the chances the same?

Thank you very much for your time and patience!

lwpat

1. How does the reduction work? Are we still paying the same amount of money to the court but ask them to reduce it to 10mph ticket? Do we ask the court not sending record to NC at the same time?
The fine is normally also reduced. The ticket will still be reported to NC but my information is that NC will not post it to your record. Confirm that with the NC DMV.

2. If I call the clerk of court now, and expressing that we are willing to pay and ask for reduction to a 10mph ticket and not sending the record to NC, will it be ok to do that?
You cannot discuss your ticket with the court prior to your court date. They will discuss it with an attorney.

3. If the officer no show, is the ticket automatically dropped?
No. The first court date is just an arraignment and the officer is not even required to be present. If you plead not guilty and the officer does not show on your trial date they are supposed to dismiss if you make a motion to do so.

4. I talked to couple of attorneys in the area and they said they can reduce it to 10mph ticket. Beside the economic consideration as you mentioned, what is the difference between we asked personally and attorney does it for us? Are the chances the same?
For a minor speeding ticket you can usually do about a good as an attorney but you have to show up. It depends on the court and the attorney.

unlucky123

If we go to the first court day by ourselves and the judge does not drop the points, can we hire the attorney then to go to the trial? What is the difference between hiring the attorney now and after the first court day?

Thanks!

unlucky123

Not sure about your answer in question 3. Are you saying that even if the officer does not show on the first court day and we plead not guilty, they will drop the charge? OR is the first court day considered as the "trial day"? Thanks!

lwpat

If we go to the first court day by ourselves and the judge does not drop the points, can we hire the attorney then to go to the trial?
Yes

What is the difference between hiring the attorney now and after the first court day?
You may not have to go to court at all.

OR is the first court day considered as the "trial day"?
If the officer is present and you want the judge to try the case he may do it then or he can set a later date. If you request a jury trial they will set a later date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">