• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the law for rights of adoptees and adoptive parents in regard to history?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adoptmom2

What is the name of your state?

Minnesota

I need to know what the law is for international adoptees and adoptive parents in relation to their personal history/background (of the adopted child). For example is there any law that states that the personal history is not to be dug into by any person other than the adoptive parents and the adoptee? Please, can anyone help me? In domestic adoptions that are not open, I understand that the information is sealed until the adopted child turns 18. There are some exceptions such as the need for medical information. Thank you!

Last edited:

nextwife

What history? Medical? Family?

Anyway, the degree and type of rights depends on when the adoption occured, whether the birthfather was known and disclosed, and where the actual adoption occured.

Example, while my kiddo was readopted in WI, she was adopted from an orphanage in Bulgaria, where she was brought shortly after birth. NO birthfather ever named. She has no medical or other history, beyond a very limited amount of data regarding the actual pregnancy and length of gestation. The records are considered sealed. And while we do have a biomom name, I would never dream of imposing upon her privacy at this time (even IF we could locate her) as there is a significant stigma attached to unwed pregnancy in her community.

adoptmom2

More on rights of adoptive parents & adoptee

MN

My situation is that some people seem to be intent on trying to "search" for the biological parents of our children and I am wondering if there are any laws for us to say that this is clearly our right and the right of our adopted children, not anyone elses. The children were said to be "abandoned" by the country but these people seem to be set on trying to find out the history. Our girls are still very young and nowhere near age 18. This is their personal history and for them to decide, no one else.

nextwife

I agree it is absolutely NOT their place to go messing with your kid's privacy. First, how is it these people even KNOW your kid's bioparent name(s)?

Also, make it VERY clear to whomever that it is (or may be, depending upon where you adopted from) a VIOLATION of agreements made as part of the adoption process with either the orphanages/agencies/or court systems to violate the privacy of the biopoarent. They provided a precious gift and it is way out of line to disrupt their "new lives" and potentially bring knowledge of a hidden secret that can cause them to be shunned by new spouses, family and community. The US is very open about things, many other places have stigmas attached to unwed pregnancy and even premarital sexual encounters. In some countries, a woman can be stoned! This is NOT for someone to be sticking their noses into and can actually endanger the ability of a certain agency or program to continue getting kids out of orphanages/foster care and into forever families, because they are supposed to make it clear that the file is sealed by the court.

Tell them in no uncertain terms to BUTT OUT!

I'd suggest contacting your agency for the information on what is allowed regarding contact with biofamily. This is country specific (not US law), but definately NOT the place of non-family.

Last edited:

adoptmom2

MN

Thanks to nextwife for your responses to my questions. There is more detail but perhaps best not to go into it here. The birthparents' names are not known but they are "digging" to try to find out what we know. I have already felt that "commonsense" alone should keep one out of other's business but apparently it is not that "common" to have commonsense. BTW, I love your phrase at the end of your message. IN fact, this is the whole reason we have this little problem. Someone is indignant that we know and that our children know that we aren't the "real" parents. (Believe me our children know they are adopted and about their adoptions.) And we know that we are the real parents, just not the biological ones!

nextwife

I'd tell them it is not their place - and to STAY OUT of my kid's private life.

Glad you like my "signature". My child has always, since she was pre-verbal, known she is adopted, but she really only considers US to be her family. Which, for her sense of stability and security, is best for now.

It is especially important for post-institutionalized kids (orphanage) that nothing be done that creates any potential seperation fears or insecurities. These kids can have "issues" and fears that the general population just does not understand, as they are generally clueless about the impact being reared in an orphanage. So tell these buttinskees to keep out of it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">