• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop is crooked need help urgent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fbluke

North Dakota
I live in fargo north dakota, i just got a call from an officer, yesterday's he said i was speeding through a school zone, I remember seeing him and he was not in uniform and he was driving with an unknown female at the time i did not realize he was a cop, he was driving a durango, unmarked, he says he was on duty but i dont believe him, he called me today saying he wants to meet me and give me my ticket, is this legal, will it hold in court

Y

ylen13

fbluke said:
North Dakota
I live in fargo north dakota, i just got a call from an officer, yesterday's he said i was speeding through a school zone, I remember seeing him and he was not in uniform and he was driving with an unknown female at the time i did not realize he was a cop, he was driving a durango, unmarked, he says he was on duty but i dont believe him, he called me today saying he wants to meet me and give me my ticket, is this legal, will it hold in court
lol, ticket after the fact? Tell this guy to take a hike. Also how do you know he is a cop and not going to robbe you, kill you etc.

CdwJava

If indeed he IS a cop, yes, he can probably give you a citation after the fact. Though as was mentioned, perhaps you can suggest meeting him at the police station instead of a parking lot somewhere.

I have filed cases for traffic offenses that resulted from my off-duty observations, so I see no reason why officers in ND could no tdo it.

- Carl

fbluke

thanks i had to call him at police station so i know it was a cop, im just not sure what exactly he is going to cite, couldnt be speeding w/o gun and I will not except anything else, are my chances good

Y

ylen13

CdwJava said:
If indeed he IS a cop, yes, he can probably give you a citation after the fact. Though as was mentioned, perhaps you can suggest meeting him at the police station instead of a parking lot somewhere.

I have filed cases for traffic offenses that resulted from my off-duty observations, so I see no reason why officers in ND could no tdo it.

- Carl
on infraction in california? This's officer was off duty shouldn't he have to call a pd and have him issue a ticket based on his oberservation of suspect breaking the law?

Last edited:

CdwJava

fbluke said:
thanks i had to call him at police station so i know it was a cop, im just not sure what exactly he is going to cite, couldnt be speeding w/o gun and I will not except anything else, are my chances good
Visual estimation and pacing are good without radar. And if its not a speed ticket, it could be almost anything else.

It's not your decision whether you will "accept" it or not. The cite should simply be a chargin ginstrument. Accepting it is not an admission of guilt (unless you are in New mexico, apparently), so the place to argue it will be in court.

- carl

Y

ylen13

fbluke said:
when you say you had to call him at police station, was it direct number were he answer or did you get transfered to his phone?

fbluke

i called a direct line, that i checked out, it might just be easier to not argue it but the reason was speeding through a school zone, and i believe i was defenitely speeding but not racing, maybe 15 mph above speed limit and under control, not wreckless, so if its a speeding ticket so be it but otherwise i will fight it i guess thanks for your insight, it is valued

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
on infractin in california? This's officer was off duty shouldn't he have to call a pd and have him issue a ticket based on his oberservation of suspect breaking the law?
he could. he could also write it up and file it when he comes back to work. There is no legal requirement to write the citation that moment. It helps to be able to identify the driver on sight - and in MY community, we know almost everyone. So, in my case if I see a driver do something (most likely driving while on a suspended license) I can file it when i go back to work.

- Carl

Y

ylen13

CdwJava said:
he could. he could also write it up and file it when he comes back to work. There is no legal requirement to write the citation that moment. It helps to be able to identify the driver on sight - and in MY community, we know almost everyone. So, in my case if I see a driver do something (most likely driving while on a suspended license) I can file it when i go back to work.

- Carl
my understanding is if a cop observes someone breaking the law(ex:speeding) and whille trying to catch up the suspect loses him and sees him again in 2 hours he can't issue him a ticket. Unless i been taught wrongly how can off duty cop issue someone a ticket the next day when he observed him whille being off duty.

Not sure what fbluke would do but i would totally refuse the ticket and told the "cop" to take a hike.

JETX

ylen13 said:
on infraction in california? This's officer was off duty shouldn't he have to call a pd and have him issue a ticket based on his oberservation of suspect breaking the law?
You're an idiot. From your other erroneous posts, you clearly have NO legal experience or education.
As correctly noted by others, the officer (even off-duty) can still issue a citation. An officer is expected to uphold the law 24/7.

Y

ylen13

JETX said:
You're an idiot. From your other erroneous posts, you clearly have NO legal experience or education.
As correctly noted by others, the officer (even off-duty) can still issue a citation. An officer is expected to uphold the law 24/7.
a cop is always a cop we are talking about infraction and he got a call from alleged cop that want him to mee thim so he can issue him a ticket, even a person with no legal background at all would call bs. He was not pulled over at the time he commited alleged infraction.

fbluke

thats what im thinkin im not sure where how it will work out, around here cops and judges and prosecutors are all in bed w/ ea. other, so it is hard to get fair shake but im not going to plead guilty, i just dont know how to argue it

CdwJava

ylen13 said:
my understanding is if a cop observes someone breaking the law(ex:speeding) and whille trying to catch up the suspect loses him and sees him again in 2 hours he can't issue him a ticket. Unless i been taught wrongly how can off duty cop issue someone a ticket the next day when he observed him whille being off duty.
Not so in CA. In CA we can file charges after the fact.

Not sure what fbluke would do but i would totally refuse the ticket and told the "cop" to take a hike.
And if you refused, you could go to jail.

You take the cite and challenge it in court.

- carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">