• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RE-4 upgrade, reserves, what??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AboveAverage26

What is the name of your state?TX I was an Aircraft Electrician in the Navy. To make a long story short, I was separated, 29 June 04, with an OTH and RE-4 for positive detection of marijuana. I know that the admin instructions say, you pop for weed, you get an OTH. I was on a medical board when i let someone reaquaint me with pot. It relived the physical discomfort i was experiancing. and when i was better and getting off of my board, i quit. Right after i failed a random at 66ng. And thats basicly what happened. I have always heard rumors about getting your discharge upgraded, but i never thought id need to worry about anything like that. I saw somewhere on this website about going into the reserves with a RE-4, is this possiable? could that apply to me? what options do i really have?

rmet4nzkx

There is a process for upgrading a RE-4 I have previously given the link, however that was for persons with general discharges w/ honorable not OTH, some RE-4 cannot be upgraded for entry into reserves. So if the reserves told you NO then you will have to live with it until the Navy decides to change it's zero tolerance for illegal drug use. Something you should have thought about before feeling good.

AboveAverage26

yeah thanx, i havent though about that already. Is that last sentance really necessary? yeah, mabey if i would have felt fine i wouldnt have done it in the first place. i thought yall were offering advise, not scarasm.

rmet4nzkx

If you were in pain and on medical restriction, you would have had no problem getting Rx they didn't Rx medical MJ did they? You were not unaware of the consequences of illegal drug use or random UA, you thought you wouldn't get nailed, you thought WRONG, why would they want you back in the NAVY? You are too big a risk. If you notice I did give you advice, and if some day the Navy changes policy, then you might be able to get an upgrade. We try to give accurate advice, you may not always like it, what can I do, I can't kiss it and make it better for you :rolleyes:

AboveAverage26

The Navy was the best thing to ever happen to me and I loved it until I had medical problems. I had broken out with crazy blisters on my hands and feet which were itchy and painful. They told me I had scabies. They gave me a cream which said only one treatment necessary and directed me to wash all my personal articles. It never went away and I kept going back. They kept telling me that I wasn’t following the directions and giving me the same treatment. I read up on scabies and decided that it wasn’t what I had. My condition was getting worse as time went by. I had nasty puss and blood coming out and it was extremely uncomfortable to say the least. They didn’t even listen when I talked to them. They made me so mad I quit going to see them. I tended my problem best I could with over the counter meds creams and bandages, several pairs of boots. which wasn’t cheap after a while and did my best to keep up at work. One day a Senior Chief noticed me limping down the flight line, I told him of my dilemma and he ordered me to go to medical. They continued their accusations of my ignorance and total incompetence without actually saying it outright. I kept going to medical and this had been going on for about a year. i went off on a first class and a Lt on deployment, they sent for my supervisor and he bitched at them too( loved him that day) Finally one visit during on ship I met an Indepent Duty Corpsman. I told him what I had been through and he actually listened to me. He used a razor, took a slide under the microscope and concluded I didn’t have scabies. He was surprised to be the first to do so. This change in my diagnosis supported with actual empirical evidence still didn’t help me a whole lot. He said I had eczema. He put me on prednazone, which helped a little. It wouldn’t go all the way away, it lessened the swelling, but it always came back. Of everything I was prescribed, prednazone seemed to work best, but doctors were reluctant to prescribe it do to possible harmful side affects over long periods. All the creams I ever got never really helped much. And suddenly all the doctors I’ve seen before agree that I have “Dishydrotic Eczema.” But still, nothing they did helped me, all they could do was give me tennis shoe chits, keep me LLD and give me ibprofrin when I complained about pain and itching. During all this time my condition is getting worse, the pain was getting unbearable and has drawn plenty of attention from my “shipmates.” Some of the most humerous being command Emails with coral draw art illustrations. It wasn’t for several months after deployment that someone finally gave me a referral to a dermatologist. I didn’t get much help there either. He gave me an allergy test for household chemicals, because they didn’t have one for industrial chemicals which I might actually come into contact with on the flight line do to their budget, I was told. He also prescribed ultraviolet light therapy, which is used on people who have psoriasis. PUVA, as its called, seemed to only aggravate my condition. And after a couple of months of continual light duty my command told my doctor put me on a medical board because I couldn’t work on the flight line in my tennis shoes and I was “taking up space.” And he complied. Also I had a couple of brushes with the DAPA because of my drinking, which to me at the time was my alternative over the counter pain medication of choice. Because Ibprofrin, Tylenol, hydrocortisone, benadryl and calamine didn’t have anything on Budwiser and Jack Daniels. After a couple of months of TPU and sitting on a couch at work all day, then going home and sitting on my couch at my apartment and drinking all night I started getting fat. It was painful for me to even get up. Eventually the alcohol didn’t help the pain anymore, it was just more of a habit. Eventually I got PCS orders to AIMD Oceana. These guys didn’t want to do the paperwork for my PCS since I was only scheduled to be there six months, so they put me down as TAD from my last command. Then they sent me TAD to the AIMD barracks for my duration. (big piss test loophole) . And for airmen in the Navy, the worst job ever, is working for MS’s. Despite my LLD status, I did a lot of work for those jerks. I was the only PO and was the only one who did what was expected. This was the biggest barracks on base and the biggest concern was the appearance of the grounds around the building. I was the one who moved a ton of mulch around, mowed that huge lawn with a push mower, shoveled snow, and was responsible for the two airmen inside who were supposed to be “cleaning.” Hey, some rates are easier than others and this chief was a moron. There was another chief who was supposed to be there, but he was on a med board too, he was cool, but surprise, u never saw him there. And during this period I had scheduled visits to the dermatologist. He never bothered to show up, I always saw a different intern ensign. So I was always explaining the same thing over and over. And they never did jack. Toward the end of my 6 month scheduled med board my break outs started to became farther in between on its own.. the first time it didn’t look half bad I requested to get off my med board. And they let me, I got my physicals and it was already time to decide for me to reenlist. I was wondering if I would after all that’s happened to me and I decided that the worst part of the military was over and it was all up from there, It sobered me up and I took the oath. I got my orders quick and I was outta there. I got stuck at namtrau Lemoore because my last command never send me. So to make sure I went this time the detailer pcs’d me there before I went to my next command. When I got there all pcs students had to participate in the new indoc piss test. I was confident when I did it that I was fine. And what happened before was truly in the past. Right when I relaxed, they took me in and told me I popped. I couldn’t stop cring for an hour. It was embarrassing. Every time I signed my dirtbag evals I balled. I thought I would cry at mast, but there were too many people there, I couldn’t. they gave me all the chances to leave too. After they told me I popped, they dropped me back at my room and told me to be ready for mast the next day. I packed my seabag and had my last free night as a petty officer having pizzahut and watching tv. I wanted to get my medical and service records copied , but the jerks wouldn’t let me.( I wish I could sue the navy for medical malpractice.) One chief was really great, she helped me book a plane ticket home online in her office the day I was leaving. She offered to give me a ride to the airport because I didn’t know anyone at Lemoore, but her SCPO wouldn’t let her. But I was lucky, I waited for a ride to the airport after they booted me to the curb out in the middle of the desert from a cool PO that was tad to restriction. BTW im still sober.

rmet4nzkx

Your last post was very loooooooooong and you were running around to all the other threads on military law, so I thought you might be on something now. it was very difficult to read without paragraphs.

I don't see how MJ helps eczema other than the smoke might trigger the release of certain acute reactants helping eczema, if that were the case tobacco would do the same.

"are you a (shy-stey?)" What is that?

"army legal officer or something" No, one son in USMC, one US Army currently in Iraq.

T

thepizzaguy

replies

I agree one thing. I am pretty sure this is supposed to be a forum for getting and giving advice, not a bashing board. people f((k up in life and they know it and try to rekon it. they don't need sarcastic, abusive, self serving, i'm above you responses. if you have something to contribute then just give it and move on. In other words "just the facts maamm"

rmet4nzkx

thepizzaguy said:
I agree one thing. I am pretty sure this is supposed to be a forum for getting and giving advice, not a bashing board. people f((k up in life and they know it and try to rekon it. they don't need sarcastic, abusive, self serving, i'm above you responses. if you have something to contribute then just give it and move on. In other words "just the facts maamm"
Op got appropriate advice even when given the additional medical information which was not relevant.

You on the otherhand had to go back to a post that is over 6 months old, so I guess that was the last time I was sarcastic to anyone.

OP sealed his fate when he tested hot, this was something he knew and did anyway.

T

thepizzaguy

ok i guess this a bashing board... You sir are rude, crude, abusive, arrogant, and condosending. You must be a lawyer. hope your happy with it ;-)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">