• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unused Vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbq_betty

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I know there are a million postings about vacation time, etc., but I want to find out about the policies in New York. My situation is this...I just gave my two weeks notice that I am leaving my job and I have 3 saved vacation days. Unfortunately, I was not given an employee manual (if they have one) upon being hired. I work for a very small company that doesn't really do things by the book (and I'm not entirely convinced they have a book). My vacation days are days that have rolled over from the previous year, and I have an email from the president of the company that states this, saying that although it is not their normal policy, they have decided to roll over vacation days this year. What I want to know is a) although i only have a little over a week left, am i entitled to approach them and request that they give me these days off before I leave? and b) am i entitled to receive payment for those days if I do not take them? Ideally, I would take the pay for those days.

Any suggestions as to how I should approach this situation with my employer would also be helpful.

thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
a) although i only have a little over a week left, am i entitled to approach them and request that they give me these days off before I leave?

In the sense that no law prohibits this, yes you may request this. They are not obligated to agree

b) am i entitled to receive payment for those days if I do not take them?

In your state, that depends on your company policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">