• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Naturalization & Foreign Spouse...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmc13

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

Now that I have decided to obtain my citizenship after 37 years as a green card holder, I am in a situation that I need advice about. I am hoping to have at least basic knowledge before seeing a lawyer and/or consultant.

Ronnie, if you're there, I'd love to hear your opinion again. I'm the one who wants to make "our lives easier"...

Simple question is how long the process will take...

Complicated question is that I was told by several people that I could apply for my husband's green card status at the same time that I begin the naturalization process. is there any fact to this?

Nextly, he is due to return to Japan next week well within his 3-month tourist span. By the way, I was legally advized that he is legally welcome to continue to visit me as a tourist as long as he has proof of residence, etc. in Japan.

Finally, I have it from good legal source that the work permit laws will be changing as of March, making it easier for foreign citizens to obtain a work permit. Anybody know details of this?

Any advice is appreciated!

ImmigAttyLana

You cannot file for his permanent residence until you are actually a citizen; simply applying for naturalization does not enable you to file for him right away.

The PERM regulations take effect at the end of March for employment-based permanent residence, but many of the same requirements are still in place and the most important one is that there must be a valid job offer from a US employer and no US candidates who can perform that job after adequate recruitment is performed.

Finally, he cannot simply continue to visit you as a visitor, especially after you get your citizenship because he will be presumed to have immigrant intent and can be turned away at any point while he is traveling on a visitor's visa.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">