• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills recovered, must I pay back my carrier that paid them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

electrowoman

What is the name of your state?I'm in Pa. I was injured by a fall in my home due to hoses through the door way. The hoses were cleaning hoses placed there by a cleaning company hired to clean after a fire caused smoke damage.

I was injured as a result of one of the employees pulling my feet from under me as I was leaving the house.

Their insurance company has offered at this time to pay all medical bills.

The question is would the money the "cleaners insurance company" pays to me then be my money or am I required by law to forward that to my insurance carrier that has paid my bills?

They say taking the medical bill payment is more than the lost wages so we make out better by taking the medical bill payment. What about pain and suffering? Wages?

Is this insurance adjuster setting us up? What should we be asking for?

Last edited:

stephenk

read your homeowner policy. most have a reimbursement clause if you reach a settlement/judgment against a third party that caused the injury. you may be able to negotiate the amount you reimburse to your carrier, bud don't count on it.

you aren't being set up. you are just being informed that nothing comes for free.

electrowoman

Medical bills paid were by work insurance

The homeowners insurance didn't pay anything. The bills to date have all been paid by my work coverage. What does the law say about an insurance carrier paying me lost wages but calling it medical payments? Is that so they can say they paid the damages but let me have the liability if I'm caught not reimbursing the insurance company?

They don't want to talk lost wages at this time and I feel they are trying to have us settle on the medical bill payment as our recovery of lost wages.

This is strange in that they said the medical bills would probably be higher than my lost wages and made it sound like they were doing me a favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">