• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dui on base

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NavyDad

My son got a dui on base. He says he is being kicked out of the Navy. this is his second alcohol offence. The first was under age drinking during "A" school a year and a half ago. He faces captains mast tomorrow. This seems extreme. I told him to go to JAG for options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

AboveAverage26

Sir, I was in the Navy also, and i saw the very same thing happen to the best friend i ever had. i wasnt there with him that night, he was drinking with some of his other "friends" and ended up passed out by himself on a bench right down the stairs from his room. he was discovered by a chief select 1st class from his command who helped him up into his room and told him not to worry about it that he wouldnt be in trouble. come monday morning he was posted outside the CMCs office. on tuesday he went to mast, 2nd offence of underage drinking, ( 1st time in a school also) wensday he went to TPU, he came back slightly less than a month later, came back and was put on restriction while he was getting his admin sep. they can **** you hard in the navy if the one dealing it out feels like setting examples and being holier than thou. you have a right to appeal the captians mast if the punishment given is more than leagly allowed by the CO, youd have to find out what max punishment is, which they usually dont exceed, theyre within their means..like time in restriction, money forfited.. stuff like that..the 2nd time can be called a pattern of misconduct. ive read the right to appeal admin sep too cant remember exactly what it says but they will only change your separation if its dedcided that the punishment was excessive, like type of discharge.. you have so much time to appeal each.. hell be coersed into signing waviers to appeal, told it will get him out of detention faster, get it over with so you can go on with your life...lots of sht, theyre dirty!
1st time i got in trouble i narrowly exceded the 50ng detection threshold of thc and that was it for me. i was in restriction with a guy who was getting kicked out for his 3rd alcohol related offence in a year, this guy wrote a letter to the command about how much he loved the navy and very heartfelt and extremely well written plea for liniency. it made all the officers say listen to this. and they sent his through super rehab and retained him. if i were in that position again, id want a real lawyer that i paid to work for me, he might not be able to actually represent you at mast or court martial, but he can give you better advice as to what to do.. find someone now, a 24-7 military law expert, now.

HomeGuru

NavyDad said:
My son got a dui on base. He says he is being kicked out of the Navy. this is his second alcohol offence. The first was under age drinking during "A" school a year and a half ago. He faces captains mast tomorrow. This seems extreme. I told him to go to JAG for options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

**A: he should be lucky. Years ago he would have been forced to walk the gangplank and fall into shark infested waters.

AboveAverage26

See.. some of these guys are just angry pricks.. the navy is like a disfunctional family with patterns of abuse... some people never grow as a person no matter how old they get or what they have on their sleeve... and older doesnt mean wiser, cause if you have a barely average iq to begin with, it doesnt go up as you get on in years. you will never be aware of the nuances in front of your face.

NavyDad

Thanks for the replies. But it seems the wheels are rolling. they stripped him of his top secret clearance yesterday, and debriefed him. He was told his pay rate is 110% full and this is a lot of the reason they will wash him out. They recently merged what ever it is he did with the electronics warfare department and this created the over staffing. Captains mast is this morning... we'll see.

SDDubb

This is the most honest advice I can give you. The Navy, as opposed to other branches, is downsizing. Think corporate america, 1990's. Anyone who slips up is getting hammered hard - they are just waiting for an excuse. It happened to me, and I have been told time and time again that if the manpower looked different that I would have been spared and given another chance. But because of overmanning, Bupers wouldn't allow me to stay. They want to boot people, because its about the budget not justice. Its dog eat dog, those who snich are rewarded and their job security is strengthened by less competition. Plus, snitching makes them seem like the "Navy/Company man". Those who are somewhat still getting it together (usually young people) get slammed and dealt harsh "Zero tolerance" punishment, up to and including discharge if possible. I am not saying DUI is good or acceptable, nor drug use, but I know a lot of chiefs at your son's command probably have the same behaviors under their belts, and somehow have grown past that, or maybe even still act that way, but are covered up by their cronies in the Chiefs Mess. Some of the biggest alkies that I met in Hawaii were Chiefs, who got away with loads because of thier "fraternal brotherhood". Regardless, your son needs to look out for himself, because NOONE at his command will, more than him. This is more for the reasons of job security, because in the Navy, it doesn't naturally exist anymore. It is truly survival of the fittest...If anyone at his command is telling him that 100% cooperation is the best thing for him they are BLOWING SMOKE. Their job is to find him guilty, they get rewarded for it. Tell your son to be respectful, evoke his right to remain silent, and to get a JAG immediately and to NOT answer any questions or give a statement. His command will take him seriously and will watch their P's and q's if he does this. He will earn respect, not loose it. I will tell you like my First Class told me when I was in trouble..."Man, F**ck this ship and command, get a lawyer NOW, Don't give them the bullets to shoot you with, because they WILL."

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">