• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

apprehension of AWOL/deserter/TRUTH/ help BAD APPLE!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckroftruth1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL
I know the location (address, land telephone # )of 3 deserters (90 days, Army,) . I have verified that All have federal warrents issued for arrest. MP, CID and local police all say they are not tasked to pick them up. WHAT IS GOING ON? Am I calling the wrong people,Using the wrong terms? All say to patiently wait apprehension!
As to what happens upon surrender or apprehension: GI rights hotline says "turn hourself in,Then we'll sing a few bars of KUMBIIAYA and send you home w/ admin discharge, a handshake and NO HARM NO FOUL. all within 5-30 days. They say NO ONE goes to courts martial.
Federal Deserter Hotline say about the same thing.
Three AD ARMY JAGs O's that I have spoken with at two diff. posts have given me percentages and specific numbers of prosecutions for 2004. A healthy number of AWOL/deserter soldiers were prosecuted. Most were confined. Sentences ranged between 30 days and 2 years in cases at their offices. PAO from the Pentagon says WE DO PROSECUTE.
What is spin? What is fact?
Additionally, the military says that OTH discharge will affect your life forever: employment opps, fed. home loans, fed. educ. loans etc. One commander recently told me that OTH would make it even difficult to rent an apt. Some posts on this site reflect that OTH has significantly limited their employment and other opps. Other posts say it is meaningless. Is this all relative to what your goals are in life, i.e. if you want to hang sheet rock your whole life, OTH won't affect you. If you want to have a career or have a job involving any sort of public trust (teacher, banker, law officer) OTH is the kiss of death.
BAD APPLE: Where is the justice? WHy won't someone respond to the info I am offering? What is driving the train on dealing with deserters/AWOL- justice or budget?. One person told me its just too expensive, time consuming, bothersome to convene a courts martial for these bottom dwellers. What could a low ranking E- type Army guy, gone 90+ days expect if apprehended?

AboveAverage26

ive seen a guy in my command gone way more than 60 days and come back, get restriction and the time added to the end of his eaos.. but are you tring to save your friends from something they dont understand now but will regret later in life, or are you a F($*$N Narc dihed? tattle tellin little brat? if its really not your business then stay out of it. if you really love em, you might have to let em go.. ive had this talk with my friends when people we liked did dumb stuff and got kicked out. and it sucks and its hard to see but mabey you didnt know them as well as you thought, i ended up doing it too. but you need make sure somethin doesnt end up happening to you in the long run, love the friends you have while theyre with you..and dont get dragged down. theyre gonna get shipped away, rotated away on orders, some might even get killed on duty. in the military friends will come and go. no matter what the reason, good or bad.

ckroftruth1

apprehension

responding to the above comments. Wait a minute...no i don't think i will respond to the above comments.
Sign me, Military for TWENTY TWO YEARS

badapple40

Call the base where they deserted from, specifically their unit, or the base legal office, and inform them you know where a couple of their deserters went. My bet is they'll take some interest.

CeLaw

This is a hard one to believe… But I knew a guy that was brought in after being AWOL for 20 years. He was at the restricted barracks awaiting an article 15. I happened to over hear a trial lawyer talking about the statute of limitations had ran on an AWOL case because someone forgot to file charges. I approached the person with the information and advised that he tell the Navy Legal to take a hike because his contract was expired with the Navy and they no longer had legal jurisdiction to keep him. I also advised him to see a defense lawyer before taking my first advice. But he didn’t listen. He got a general discharge and was glad to go back. Ah, gone twenty years went to NJP and got a general …something was wrong!

CeLaw

I have turned myself in after being AWOL for 9 months and Im getting an Article 15, OTH discharge, 45 days xtra duty and 45 days 1/2 pay...Pretty much the Army is spread to thin to deal with people who just dont want to be here. And justice really has nothing to do with this, its money. Ill be here a couple months and be out with an OTH discharge which really isnt that bad. A lot of what you hear are rumors/scare tactics. You have to be realistic about this stuff and think of the military as a business. Why pay to house/feed/watch over someone for 2 years when they can just boot your ass out in a couple months and be done with you. If you spent 22 years in the military you should know this game is about money. And reporting people for their own personal dicission is kinda Fed up in my opinion. They have the right to do what they want without someone who isnt even involved in the military anymore butting in. The only exception I could think of is if you KNOW they raped,murdered, or sold a TON of drugs to military members. Times are a lot different now days. The global war on terrorism is a joke and every single person in the Army Ive talked to agrees...and now the higher ups are talking about Iran. I think a smart individual would leave now and face the consequences like me. Even if they did court martial you and throw you in jail for two years it is better than being in a country that doesnt want us there roaming the streets waiting to get shot at to locate enemy positions. It not like WWI or II where there is seriously a global threat This again is about money/political power. If you dont agree with this you are so blind and nieve I dont know what else to tell you...Good luck to those fellow soldiers your narcing on.

lvn4ever

apprehension of Awol

i read through the posts on this one and have to say THINGS REALLY Have changed....its pretty sad when people don't feel any "civic" responsibility about laws just because a specific crime doesn't involve them personally.

Maybe when YOUR house gets broken into or YOUR wife gets jumped or someone is selling drugs to YOUR kids and YOUR neighbor knows who did it, but WON'T do anything about it because it doesn't involve them personally, maybe THEN you will think about this concept. The pebble gets dropped in the pond and causes ripples out to the edges of the pond. Please don't say that the crimes i've named above are different from desertion. Breaking the law is breaking the law is breaking the law. Unless you have been elected to a judgeship, you aren't in any sort of position to determine which laws you think are worthy of obeying, or reporting...without facing the consequences.

lvn4ever said:
i read through the posts on this one and have to say THINGS REALLY Have changed....its pretty sad when people don't feel any "civic" responsibility about laws just because a specific crime doesn't involve them personally.

Maybe when YOUR house gets broken into or YOUR wife gets jumped or someone is selling drugs to YOUR kids and YOUR neighbor knows who did it, but WON'T do anything about it because it doesn't involve them personally, maybe THEN you will think about this concept. The pebble gets dropped in the pond and causes ripples out to the edges of the pond. Please don't say that the crimes i've named above are different from desertion. Breaking the law is breaking the law is breaking the law. Unless you have been elected to a judgeship, you aren't in any sort of position to determine which laws you think are worthy of obeying, or reporting...without facing the consequences.
Exactly they are AWOL, which is ILLEGAL, it doesnt matter weither you think its right or wrong. the only thing that matters, that it is the law. and if someone wants to turn them in then that is their choice, and they might almost as if it there duty. These people that are AWOL knew that when they joind the military that, the militarys purpose is to fight wars, but it comes time for the free ride to stop. and suddenly you dont agree with the war, and you dont think that you should have to fight. But think of it this way, you got paid for being in the military, but you had no intention to serve your country. and if you didnt join for no reason then there might be more money in the budget to get the honorable soldiers, who Swore to protect and defend the constitution of the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic. and that how it actually goes, not I will collect a pay check, and i will only protect the constitution when i see fit.

Turn them in they are stupid for going awol. there are alot of better ways to get out then going awol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">