• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

traffic ticket - complaintant's name scribbled, not printed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allenkeynyc

What is the name of your state?In Manhattan, NY State:

i got this traffic ticket, and the field where the cop's supposed to print his name(Complainant's Full Name (printed)) doesn't have his name, it just has some scribbles.

and its not his signature cause that is right above the scribble in Rank/Full Signature of Complainant.

anyone know if this is grounds for dismissal of a ticket?
can i contest and win?
am i mistaken to think that anything wrong on the ticket is grounds for dismissal in the interest of justice?

the ticket is for violation of sec 1163 sub A
Improper left turn.

i made a left turn from not the left lane, just like everyone else does all the time in manhattan, you pull to the right of the car waiting to turn left.
really there would've been way more traffic caused by me if i waited to merge into the left lane before turning left.

thanks in advance
allen

S

seniorjudge

It is not a grounds for dismissal of a ticket for the cop to have bad handwriting.

can i contest and win?
No.

am i mistaken to think that anything wrong on the ticket is grounds for dismissal in the interest of justice?
Yes, you are mistaken.

i made a left turn from not the left lane
This sounds like an improper left turn to me.

You Are Guilty

allenkeynyc said:
What is the name of your state?In Manhattan, NY State:

i got this traffic ticket, and the field where the cop's supposed to print his name(Complainant's Full Name (printed)) doesn't have his name, it just has some scribbles.

and its not his signature cause that is right above the scribble in Rank/Full Signature of Complainant.

can i contest and win?

the ticket is for violation of sec 1163 sub A
Improper left turn.

i made a left turn from not the left lane, just like everyone else does all the time in manhattan, you pull to the right of the car waiting to turn left.
really there would've been way more traffic caused by me if i waited to merge into the left lane before turning left.

thanks in advance
allen

And to think I was about to answer this till you mentioned why you were ticketed. That, my friend, is an illegal left turn. Especially if there was a dedicated turning lane.

allenkeynyc

thank you for the responses,

his name is not simply bad handwriting, it looks like when you test if your pen has ink, or as if he was crossing something out that wasn't even there. it looks like he didn't even try to write his name.

there was not a dedicated left turning lane, it was just 2 lanes, and in new york city, it can be confusing because there are intersections without turn lane markings that a traffic cop standing in the middle of the road will wave you through to make this same turn. although those roads usually have more than 2 lanes.

i was pretty sure that why i am ticketed is irrelevant to what can make a ticket dismissable. most likely you are guilty of a crime when you are ticketed, that's how they know to ticket you, but if something is wrong on the ticket, i've seen them get dismissed in the interest of justice. it doesn't mean the guy didn't do something against the law, it means he wasn't caught properly right? am i the only one that has seen tickets thrown out for errors?

thanks again for your responses,
if there is anything i've said that anyone may think would get me out of this ticket, or have it reduced, please let me know, otherwise i will probably just send it in guilty and pay

allen

You Are Guilty

allenkeynyc said:
thank you for the responses,

his name is not simply bad handwriting, it looks like when you test if your pen has ink, or as if he was crossing something out that wasn't even there. it looks like he didn't even try to write his name.

there was not a dedicated left turning lane, it was just 2 lanes, and in new york city, it can be confusing because there are intersections without turn lane markings that a traffic cop standing in the middle of the road will wave you through to make this same turn. although those roads usually have more than 2 lanes.

i was pretty sure that why i am ticketed is irrelevant to what can make a ticket dismissable. most likely you are guilty of a crime when you are ticketed, that's how they know to ticket you, but if something is wrong on the ticket, i've seen them get dismissed in the interest of justice. it doesn't mean the guy didn't do something against the law, it means he wasn't caught properly right? am i the only one that has seen tickets thrown out for errors?

thanks again for your responses,
if there is anything i've said that anyone may think would get me out of this ticket, or have it reduced, please let me know, otherwise i will probably just send it in guilty and pay

allen
Do a search for any of my old posts on tickets and you'll find the answers to your questions. It's late and I'm too tired to re-type it for the 50th time now.

allenkeynyc

after searching and reading many posts with attempts to dismiss tickets based on errors on the ticket, i have to say the information on these forums is somewhat contradicting, and after an hour and a half, i do not have a solid answer to my question.

i read posts about a wrong date entered, where the orignal poster was told it wouldn't matter, and then read that a wrong date would dismiss a ticket. the only time i've gone to plea bargain a speeding ticket, at least 1 or 2 were dismissed due to errors on the ticket. it is very confusing.

then there was mronroad who was told a wrong color would not dismiss at ticket, and he got it dismissed.

i have not seen anything about the complainant's name not being printed properly. would anyone know if the any of the following items identify the officer - Command Code? Tax Registry No.? Squad? is there a requirement for the officer to have his name printed on the ticket? most legal documents that require signatures require a name printed next to it right? or at least something to identify clearly who the signer is.

i hate to stir up any more anger and/or hostilities on these forums, there seems to me to be much of that, which is rather dissappointing. i have never seen this on web forums created mostly to help each other out and provide a resource for information.

thanks again
allen

mikeshoe

possible answer

I've been reading a lot of information about this kind of error. Here's my current summary

IF the errors on the ticket prevent you from preparinging yourself with a sufficient defense (no statute, invalid statute not a typo type thing, but an actual legal error)

OR if the errors lend to a significant difference between you and the person described on the ticket (your car is a black 4dr sedan and the ticket is for a yellow half ton pickup truck)

you may have basis for a dismissal.

the crappy part is several people have claimed even if it's dismissed the officer might be able to refile it sometimes

I think an error on the ticket is probably only useful to establish that the officer makes mistakes and that they may have also been mistaken when they cited you.

I however am no expert and have a similar issue posted that I hope results in a greater number of well thought responses

You Are Guilty

mikeshoe said:
I think an error on the ticket is probably only useful to establish that the officer makes mistakes and that they may have also been mistaken when they cited you.

For moving violations in NYC, this is correct.

Sloppy Tickets

With traffic issues, Law Enforcment is allowed to be sloppy and make honest mistakes. The citizen is not. The courts don't care as long as they can trap you in to the system. In their eyes you're either a good citizen or a criminal. You made a mistake with your left turn. That makes you a terrorist.

qcxlvr1

There is no requirement that you need to be able to read the officer's name on the summons. The tax registry number is the number that identifies the particular member of the service.

I'm not sure if you've ever been in a traffic court in NYC, but it is an administrative adjudication bureau run by the Department of Motor Vehicles where the burden of proof is merely "clear and convincing evidence."

If you ask the administrative law judge to throw this out based on the fact that you can not read the officer's last name, you will not have any luck.

You Are Guilty

qcxlvr1 said:
There is no requirement that you need to be able to read the officer's name on the summons. The tax registry number is the number that identifies the particular member of the service.

I'm not sure if you've ever been in a traffic court in NYC, but it is an administrative adjudication bureau run by the Department of Motor Vehicles where the burden of proof is merely "clear and convincing evidence."

If you ask the administrative law judge to throw this out based on the fact that you can not read the officer's last name, you will not have any luck.
To be clear, the official burden is C&C, but in practice, a preponderance is usually all it takes to get convicted. Which is probably why the everyone hates the system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">