• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to pay an 18yr old ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheridan

Im from Michigan, this took place in Arizona.

In 1987 I recieved a citation for allowing a unlicensed person to drive my car.
I was 16 at the time and I was returning back to Michigan. So I never went to court on this matter. I recieved a letter later in '87 stating my Michigan license would be invalid within the state of Arizona.

18 years later, I recieved a collection letter from the court stating I owe them a sum of money for the violation.

My question, since I was a minor at the time and the citation is 18 years old, am I still obligated to pay?

Thanks in advance

HomeGuru

sheridan said:

I was 16 at the time and I was returning back to Michigan. So I never went to court on this matter. I recieved a letter later in '87 stating my Michigan license would be invalid within the state of Arizona.

**A: why did you not go to court?
18 years later, I recieved a collection letter from the court stating I owe them a sum of money for the violation.

**A: what exactly did the letter state?

CdwJava

sheridan said:
My question, since I was a minor at the time and the citation is 18 years old, am I still obligated to pay?

Thanks in advance
Consider the possibility that MI may suspend your license there if they choose to honor AZ's suspension.

It may come home to roost.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

sheridan said:

Thanks in advance

Yes

HomeGuru said:
I guess the citation was not minor after all.
You all are blowing this situation a little too easily. In many jurisdictions the SOL would have run on collecting on a debt that is 18 years old. Of course, this is a different type situation with it being a traffic citation that isn't paid. Still it's not a slam dunk issue.

JETX

Rhubarb297 said:
You all are blowing this situation a little too easily. In many jurisdictions the SOL would have run on collecting on a debt that is 18 years old. Of course, this is a different type situation with it being a traffic citation that isn't paid. Still it's not a slam dunk issue.
And of course, Rutard (aka: Ruby Slippers) is wrong again.

This is not a 'debt'... this is a criminal charge (traffic, but still 'criminal'). And once charged, it does NOT expire... until it is disposed of by a court.
The ticket.... and its 'punishment' are still valid.

sheridan

Thanks for the replies

To answer some questions for those that cared.

**A: why did you not go to court?

Because I was 16 years old returning to Michigan. I had already worn out my welcome in the state of Arizona and haven't been back since.

**A: what exactly did the letter state?

It's your basic collection letter from some company stating I owed an outstanding debt for this 18 year old ticket. Since I remember minors cannot be held liable for a monetary debt (one reason they cannot get a credit card) I had thought I would be free of this.

Consider the possibility that MI may suspend your license there if they choose to honor AZ's suspension.

It may come home to roost.

- Carl

You maybe right. However, I have renewed my licence 3 times (you have to renew every 5 years in MI) since the letter from the Arizona courts stating my license was invalid within thier state, I'm not worried about it at this time.

I have sent a letter to presiding judge in hopes of resolving this. I had hoped there was a legal recourse I could mention if/when they deny my request.

And justice for all :mad:

Thanks all

CdwJava

sheridan said:
You maybe right. However, I have renewed my licence 3 times (you have to renew every 5 years in MI) since the letter from the Arizona courts stating my license was invalid within thier state, I'm not worried about it at this time.
Of course, if MI and AZ are both part of the interstate compact on licenses (and I believe they are, but am not certain) then the collections agency coule easily make a call to MI pointing out the revocation, and you could find yourself suddenly without a license.

Don't be TOO angry. It wasn't the justice system that failed you - YOU failed to pay the cite. Whether there is much that the collections agency can do besides sending threatening letters, I don't know. But, I know that I wouldn't want to have an open collections account on my credit report if I could avoid it.

Good luck.

- Carl

sheridan said:
I have sent a letter to presiding judge in hopes of resolving this. I had hoped there was a legal recourse I could mention if/when they deny my request.

Thanks all
Now that there is Internet, many states have their laws and traffic codes posted on official or university web sites. I have researched only two states, but in both they do mention time limits (statutes of limitation) on executing proceedures in traffic cases. 18 years ago may have been before adoption of a "traffic violator's compact" between Arizona and MI, meaning MI can't or was not approached to act in behalf of AZ (revocation of licence thing). Still, Arizona may have no statute of limitations, and keeps the case on file. A lawyer could tell you, if you can find one who will look. I have found that some lawers simply will not diddle with ordinary traffic cases, unless there is a complication they can bill some hours to handle. In the final analysis, it is usually simple, practical and recommended (by lawyers, too) that you just go ahead and pay the ticket. Doesn't hurt to research it a little, first, just to get your head right.

Last edited:

JETX

poppakeith said:
Now that there is Internet, many states have their laws and traffic codes posted on official or university web sites. I have researched only two states, but in both they do mention time limits (statutes of limitation) on executing proceedures in traffic cases. 18 years ago may have been before adoption of a "traffic violator's compact" between Arizona and MI, meaning MI can't or was not approached to act in behalf of AZ (revocation of licence thing). Still, Arizona may have no statute of limitations, and keeps the case on file. A lawyer could tell you, if you can find one who will look. I have found that some lawers simply will not diddle with ordinary traffic cases, unless there is a complication they can bill some hours to handle. In the final analysis, it is usually simple, practical and recommended (by lawyers, too) that you just go ahead and pay the ticket. Doesn't hurt to research it a little, first, just to get your head right.
WOW!! What a wonderful post. However, EXACTLY what assistance or 'value'' did the OP gain from your post.... other than 'do a little research'???

S

seniorjudge

"...Still, Arizona may have no statute of limitations, and keeps the case on file...."

poppakeith, tell me what you mean by this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">