• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eadgate

What is the name of your state? FL

Last year, my employer " forgot " to pay the group health insurance payment and our insurance was canceled unbeknownst to us. I happened to have kidney stones that month and was confused when I received the bill for $5,000. When I asked my boss what had happened he said he'd forgotten to pay the insurance. My insurance company refuses to pay for hospital visit. Is my employer legally obligated to pay it? Thanks in advance. -Ethan

Beth3

Unless you are in Hawaii or have an employment contract to the contrary, your employer is not obligated to provide you with group health benefits. Nor are they obligated to pay your hospital bill.

Have you asked your employer whether he plans to pay the back premiums and get coverage reinstated???

P.S. Do you and your co-workers make any contribution towards the insurance premiums off your paychecks? If yes, what has your employer done with that money? Has it been refunded to the participants?

eadgate

He payed the bill and reinstated it the following month. My insurance company refused to pay for the bill however, because my insurance was canceled at the time. I was not aware that the policy was canceled, and now appear to be stuck with the bill. We ( the employees ), pay for our insurance. Our employer deducts the payments from our checks every week. That's why I thought he may be obligated to pay for it. This is something I pay for myself, and rely on him to make the payments. I don't understand how there can be no protection or recourse for this. Thank you.

Beth3

Unless your employer has had the coverage reinstated back to the date it was cancelled, you DO have recourse because you were paying the premiums. If the employer has redirected these payroll deductions into the general assets of the company rather than using the funds to pay the insurance premiums, he is in big trouble.

Contact the federal Department of Labor and file a complaint: 202-693-4650. The federal DOL has jurisdiction over employer sponsored benefit plans. Good luck.

eadgate

I will do that. Thank you. My boss is not a terrible guy, and will pay the bill, I'm sure, I just wanted some info before I brought it to him. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">