• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI question overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lalaoh

What is the name of your state? WV

My child was approved for SSI back in July and I have done everything they have asked of me. Whatever they asked for, I Sent it immediately. Well now they are saying they overpaid me. Which I feel is not our fault. They had all of the income stubs. Anywayz I called and asked for a waiver paper be sent to me. And after doing research on here have decided not to do the waiver. Just let them go ahead and take deduct it from her monthly check. Can I still do this or will I have to fill it out? Thanks in advance for any replies.

BL

And why not ask for a waiver ?
How much are you talking about ?

It is not uncommon for SSA to grant a waiver for a few hundred or thousand dollars , and there is really no harm in submitting that form. The most that can happen is it being denied .The best that can happen is that it be waived , and still keep full benefits .

It's entirely up to you to decide . I believe you have so many days to file for the waiver , if you don't , they will take the action to recoup the overpayment .

They have most likely noted that the waiver form was sent to you . If you decide not to submit it I'd call them , but honestly there is absolutely no harm in requesting a waiver .

bjl1105

Blonde Lebinese said:
And why not ask for a waiver ?
How much are you talking about ?

It is not uncommon for SSA to grant a waiver for a few hundred or thousand dollars , and there is really no harm in submitting that form. The most that can happen is it being denied .The best that can happen is that it be waived , and still keep full benefits .

It's entirely up to you to decide . I believe you have so many days to file for the waiver , if you don't , they will take the action to recoup the overpayment .

They have most likely noted that the waiver form was sent to you . If you decide not to submit it I'd call them , but honestly there is absolutely no harm in requesting a waiver .
Blonde is correct. You may file a request for waiver at any time. There is no time restriction for asking for a waiver, however, they will not wait forever for you to return the form (they can close out the request if you do not respond timely) . If you asked for a waiver and then changed your mind, just let them know. There is a 60 day period if you want to file a reconsideration (meaning the facts causing the overpayment are wrong). But, if you feel you were not at fault in causing the overpayment, and your child is still on SSI, and it is your first overpayment, there is a good chance that it would be waived....You have nothing to lose but time and a stamp.

lalaoh

The amount of overpayment is 740 some dollars. I know its not our fault as I said before but I am not sure we meet the finicial hardship.. however they figure that out. so therefore I wasnt sure to apply for it or not.

bjl1105

If your child is still receiving benefits, inability to repay is is assumed in most cases. File the waiver.

lalaoh

Do I need to fill out the part about the finicial stuff then? Like all the bills etc.?? I guess I will give it a try.. it wont hurt as you all said thanks.

BL

Last edited:

lalaoh

She is still receiving SSI. But they said they was gonna take out so much each month to get it paid back.

When I talked to the lady on the phone she said I would need to send in all financial info, resources, etc. But on the form it says stop at 13 if you are still receiving SSI. http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-632.html And on this site it says to fill in all of it. (Answer in all cases it says.)

BL

http://www.2minus1.com/ssa-632.pdf

There are 2 types of forms . One for waiver ( see the pdf form ) , and one for reconsideration .

On the form I've sited ( see if yours is the same ) , It states CLEARLY , after # 13
IMPORTANT , if you receive SSI stop here , got to ........ on the back and sign & date .

bjl1105

You are not required to fill out the financial questions on a Request for Waiver if the client is currently receiving benefits. Fill out the first part, and personally deliver to your local Social Security Office (if possible) to have someone review , and make a decision on the spot. Call the 1 800 # and schedule an appointment for your waiver. If you are having difficulty with any form, your local Social Security office representative will help you fill it out. Even a waiver. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">