• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying no tabs fine - collector vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Washington.

I was driving a collector vehicle (in Washington State, where tabs are not required) and was cited with a $538 moving violation.

I talked to a prosecutor before the court date, and I asked about getting it changed to a non-moving violation instead. I showed him my 6-7 typed pages expaining everything, and so he said I should agree to not having tabs.

So I agreed to not having tabs, and he filled out a form that said I agreed that I didn't have tabs, and that I need to pay $150, and he had a judge sign the form, so I never went to court, and now I am on time payments for $150 for no tabs on a collector vehicle.

Now my question is, since I was driving a collector vehicle, which doesn't require tabs, can I fight the fine, or somehow get out of paying?

Last edited:

harbor14

FastbackJon said:
What is the name of your state? Washington.

I was driving a collector vehicle (in Washington State, where tabs are not required) and was cited with a $538 moving violation.

I talked to a prosecutor before the court date, and I asked about getting it changed to a non-moving violation instead. I showed him my 6-7 typed pages expaining everything, and so he said I should agree to not having tabs.

So I agreed to not having tabs, and he filled out a form that said I agreed that I didn't have tabs, and that I need to pay $150, and he had a judge sign the form, so I never went to court, and now I am on time payments for $150 for no tabs on a collector vehicle.

Now my question is, since I was driving a collector vehicle, which doesn't require tabs, can I fight the fine, or somehow get out of paying?
There is not a traffic violation for not having tabs that has a fine of $538 in Washington. What was the violation for? $538 violations are Negligent driving 2d degree, no insurance, handicap parking just to name a few.

Did you have a collector plate with the corresponding registration?

If you talked to the prosecutor and signed a document admitting to the violation you have in fact pled guilty.

No tabs is a non-moving violation in the first place.

Ok re-reading the post; you were charged with a $538 moving violation - most likely Neg 2; you pled guilty to a non-moving violation of no tabs in a plea agreement with the prosecutor for a $150 fine. The short answer is no you cant fight it.

racer72

You are wrong about collector cars not requiring license tabs. You do not have to license the vehicle as a regular passenger vehicle though, there are other options. These apply to vehicles 35 years and older.

1. Obtain a "collector car" plate. You pay a one time fee, depending on what county you live in, and your vehicle is permantly registered. The single plate must be on the rear of the vehicle.

2. Obtain a collector plate and register the car with a same year plate. I have a 66 GTO with a period Washington plate with 1966 tabs. It is also a permanant registration. It cost me $226 4 years ago and I never have to pay any license fees as long as I own the vehicle.

Both of the above are for what the state calls occasionally driven vehicles. I would suggest a visit to your local state licensing agency.

BelizeBreeze

It's only $15 in arkansas and there is no mileage limit :D
And there is not one state that does NOT require plates on a car driven on the streets. Pay the fine.

The car is registered and licenced as a collector vehicle, with a collector plate, which don't require tabs in Washington State. You get the collector plate and it is a one time deal, registered with that plate until you decide to change it, no more buying yearly tabs.

And yes, I was originally charged with Neg 2, and got it changed to no tabs in a plea agreement with the prosecutor, by agreeing that I didn't have tabs at the time of the incident (which is true because they are not required on my collector vehicle).

So I was just hoping I might be able to get out of paying for the no-tabs fine since my car, as a collector vehicle, does not require them.

Yes/No/Maybe So?

Last edited:

mikeshoe

What more do you want?

By all means you should attempt to weasel out of the fine if you think that's the best course.

Consider this though:
You got a pretty good hookup by getting the prosecutor to convert a nasty $500+ moving violation ticket into a $150 non-moving violation. In my book you already won, big time. Pay up and be extra super happy to be only paying 30% of the original fine without the insurance hit.

I'd guess that if you succeed in getting the plea bargain deal no-tabs fine dismissed, and the prosecutor finds out, he'd attempt to refile the Neg 2 and make sure to stick it to you as hard as he possibly could.

Whatever course you take, best of luck.

harbor14

FastbackJon said:
The car is registered and licenced as a collector vehicle, with a collector plate, which don't require tabs in Washington State. You get the collector plate and it is a one time deal, registered with that plate until you decide to change it, no more buying yearly tabs.

And yes, I was originally charged with Neg 2, and got it changed to no tabs in a plea agreement with the prosecutor, by agreeing that I didn't have tabs at the time of the incident (which is true because they are not required on my collector vehicle).

So I was just hoping I might be able to get out of paying for the no-tabs fine since my car, as a collector vehicle, does not require them.

Yes/No/Maybe So?
Again...the answer is no.

Y

ylen13

BelizeBreeze said:
It's only $15 in arkansas and there is no mileage limit :D
And there is not one state that does NOT require plates on a car driven on the streets. Pay the fine.
um, for new cars california don't requrie you to have plates till you get them in the mail :) in the mean time you just have registration paper on your front window.

racer72

ylen13 said:
um, for new cars california don't requrie you to have plates till you get them in the mail :) in the mean time you just have registration paper on your front window.

Once again you have added absolutely nothing to this thread. Tell me where in this thread does anybody give a damn about California collector cars. You are a troll of the worst kind.

To the OP. You have plea bargained to a reduced charge. Your claim that collector vehicles require no tabs in immaterial now. You have 2 choices, pay the fine for the reduced charge or accept the charges for the more serious citation. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Okay, thanks all. I don't think I should have got the $538 ticket in the first place, but I decided I would rather get the fine reduced and moved to a non-moving violation than to take a chance with the judge and possibly lose.

So I was hoping I might be able to get out of the reduced fine on a technicality, but I guess not. Oh well, it was worth asking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">