• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need adoption help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tobehappe

What is the name of your state?new york. if my boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter that is 6 years old,she wants him to,also.Can he adopt her even if her father has minimial contact in her life.He doesn't want to pay child support.He doesn't live in my state and has minimial contact?my boyfriend has been in her life since she was 6 months old.He is really the only man she really knows.What can I do, if anything?Her bio father has a family of his own thatlives with him. which seems to be the only ones he cares about :rolleyes: What do I do?

kyblueeyes

I agree that only a spouse can adopt her. If you and your boyfriend have been together for 5 1/2 - 6 years and he is wanting to adopt your daughter marriage really shouldn't be an issue.
The biological father may be all for it after you two have married - you and the boyfriend. This similar thing happened to me. My husband adopted my daughter 8 years ago. The biological father was so happy that he wouldn't have to pay child support anymore that he paid all attorney's fees and court fees himself and gave up his rights very willingly. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">